Archos size 4 Android

Andrewinsa

Nov 30, 2010
Hi everyone

I have been doing some research and have read in more than one place that 7 inch is the max size for Google to recognize and for Android to operate optimally. I am considering the Archos 101 - what's the deal, is this too big for Android, will there be a compromise, should I rather get the 70 to get the optimal Android experience?

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Andrew

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can read that detail in a couple of different ways. What is really meant is real resolution. The Android resolution density for versions prior to 2.3 is a 16:9 ratio with a density of 800x480. What is done for the larger screens or 4:3 is to stretch the ratio or density. This can cause a potentially poorer screen experience. This is why those who have 800x600 tablets suddenly lose screen real estate capability if they do not have a 8x6 firmware. The tweaks are missing.
Some providers like Archos who have been doing PMPs and their own tablets, have tried to tweak the driver and pixel density and using a GPU so it looks good at the higher screen resolution. That is also why it maintains the widescreen look and not an IPad screen real estate in part too.
I am not worried so much about Archos 101 in being 2.3/3.0 compliant. It will be the lower end screens where the lack of a good GPU and processor will cause problems

The 70 will always be optimal for default Android resolution. So you will not go wrong.

Andrewinsa

Nov 30, 2010
thanks for the reply, most of that detail was above me, but I think I got my answer out of it. It has, however, raised another question, you mention 2.3 and 3.0. When these versions hit us, will the 70 and 101 be upgradeable, or will we be stuck with 2.2 Froyo?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
That is the question asked by many. (Including me) The odds of Android versions of Gingerbread/Honeycomb 2.3/3.0 will be compatible with Archos is far greater than a no-name tablet. Gingerbread was in the hands of the Archos developers when their model came out. I am betting it will be compatible. BUT, I am also betting, you will have to depend upon using an application redirector such as Apps2SD. This will give the internal storage more room for the potential of a swap or the application load.

What you need to keep in mind, Archos has been doing Tablets of a type since 2000. They are very solidly built. I have an Archos 504 which is 5 years old and still running strong. The one thing that Archos does which drives Archos fans to distraction is how they will make certain elements proprietary to make a bit higher profit. On the earlier models they would charge for things like codec or AAC sound compatibility. I have no doubt, they will make Market difficult to install. In order to redirect to their market.
People complain about Apple and how they would try and stop Jailbreaking. The same story has been true for Archos on a different level.

Have I stopped buying Archos, as you can tell, the answer is no.