Aspect Ratio? HDMI Output from Asus MeMO FHD

dio_free

Feb 18, 2014
Hi everyone,
First post here. I just picked up my first tablet, though I am quite familiar with android from my smartphone.

I was using my tablet on the weekend to watch movies (via hdmi) on an HDTV. I noticed that no matter what aspect ratio I set in VLC (on the tablet) that there are black bars on all four sides of the picture on the tv.
Is there any way to resolve this so that the image using the full width of the tv?

thanks

Musing

Aug 27, 2012
Rather difficult to answer without complete description of the tablet. The ratio and resolution of the tablet, plays a big part in the letterbox effect.

dio_free

Feb 18, 2014
Rather difficult to answer without complete description of the tablet. The ratio and resolution of the tablet, plays a big part in the letterbox effect.

thanks for the reply.

The tablet is a Asus MeMO FHD Pad 10.1" 16GB Android 4.2 Tablet With Intel Clover Trail Plus Z2560 Processor

The resolution is 1920 x 1200. I am using VLC player on the tablet to play the movies. I played with the ratios available on VLC (stretch, 4:3, 16:9, center, etc.) and while this did change the picture displayed on the TV, none of them made the image "fit" to the TV properly.