ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2 - Picking Apart the Teaser

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
As many might know, ASUS has just yesterday released an awesome teaser for the "Next Transformation" - obviously the next-gen Transformer. Time to pick the thing apart! ;) If a mod thinks this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it - I just thought it more appropriate here considering the wider exposure for this type of discussion.

Most reports seem to pair it with the Tegra 3 processor, a price of $499 (pretty sure this was confirmed by the CEO), and; of course; the mateable keyboard dock. But this video does give us quite a bit more to dig into, if only the external features. So, here's what I think I have seen in the video.

1. All-metal construction. This is a massive thing for me, especially compared to the last Transformer's chassis (mostly plastic, with the exception of the faceplate and the sides (also the Keyboard dock)). Metal is just so much more sophisticated; refined. Based on the closeup view, it also looks to be brushed (which is a really nice feature).

2. Exceptionally thin. Just look at the thing in the video - it's sharpens down to a razor sharp point (metaphorically speaking), and that also means it's probably very light. Looks like ASUS is really paying attention to the build this time around (which is actually my biggest complaint with the original Transformer).

3. Nice, thin bezeling. Again, a great touch to the build. The bezel on the original Transformer is massive; it really detracts from the tablet and having the screen, glass bezeling, seal, AND metallic bezel just seems off. The video shows it as also having rounded, soft corners; thin build; AND the keyboard...it just looks awesomely put together.

4. LED Camera flash. That is a nice feature to have - not that you'll always be pulling out the thing for taking pictures, but it is nice whenever you do need to and might make a good flashlight. It was missing on the original Transformer.

5. USB ports without covers. Personally, I like this touch - the covers on the original were a bit loose fitting and seemed a bit tacky. The new ports look super-solid in the frame. Nice touch.*

6. No MicroSD or mini-HDMI ports? You don't see any in the video. However, you can only see one side of the tablet, and it looks like you can't catch a segment near the top either. I sure hope that it supports these; and I personally doubt ASUS would move away from this. They also hid the USB port from one view and showed it on another, pointing towards the fact that that view was either from the other side or hid the ports.

7. Backlit keyboard, possibly? This is grasping at straws, based on the teaser alone - however, the top row of keys does look like it is slightly off tint (as if it was glowing slightly). I've always wanted this on the Transformer as it would help with dark-area typing.

*As a side note, I wonder if the tablet will support USB 3.0...that would be a really unique feature on a tablet.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Now, yours! I'm looking forward to it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
Hey Walkop, that really is impressive how you were able to explain your thoughts on the video and 2nd Generation Transformer tablet in so much depth from such a miniscule sneak peak. Of course knowing how you always pay so close attention to technical detail it doesn't surprise me, I'm always impressed by your input which I find to be very helpful.

This is the first I've seen the video, guess I've been a little out of the loop in this area, but hopefully all or at least most of the (potential) features you pointed out will exist in the Transformer 2. From what little I could see in the video I also must admit it looks like a very compact and slick device. I have to say, although I don't know all the concrete details, I'm quite excited to see what this new Asus tablet comes bundled with. From what I saw it appears to be aesthetically well designed. A Tegra 3 processor and backlit keyboard would certainly be enough to grab my attention. Not that the first generation Transformer falls short since it's easily one of the higher end Android tablets available, but like any new device there is always room for improvement and Asus is well known for going above and beyond.

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
6. No MicroSD or mini-HDMI ports?

Hey Walkop, I know this isn't exactly breaking news now, but fortunately it's been confirmed that the Transformer Prime will in fact come equipped with these features as well.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Hey Walkop, I know this isn't exactly breaking news now, but fortunately it's been confirmed that the Transformer Prime will in fact come equipped with these features as well.

Ah, yes; I heard about that. Definitely great to hear -especially considering I just got a mini-HDMI cable for my tablet and I have 2 16GB cards I bought for my Transformer (I'm looking to upgrade, selling my TF) ;)

Amadou, regarding your previous post - thanks. I enjoy picking apart the details -that's usually where you can find the meat of things (if you look hard enough, that is). I'm glad I can be of assistance.

I myself have always liked ASUS - they make reputable, reliable products, and the Transformer is no exception. As you say there are always things to be improved, and I think they nailed it right on the head with the Prime. Looks great! Now, just hoping it'll actually be released on November 9th (the official date for some event regarding the Prime as ASUS CEO mentioned at the AsiaD conference).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited: