Asus Live at MWC

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Well, there have been rumors about a new PadFone (or FonePad) from Asus at MWC. Asus has been running a live feed from livestream.com of the event.

$asus.jpg

Jonney has been on stage for about 30 minutes talking about all of the specs and features. Here are the highlights:

Aircraft aluminum grade back plate
5.0" 1080p Full HD Display (441 ppi, better than the Retina at 326 ppi). Jonney did throw a jab at Apple's Retina display
1.7 GHz Snapdragon 600 with an Adreno 320 GPU
2 GB of RAM
32 GB or 64 GB of on board storage
EDGE, GPRS, GSM, WCDMA, LTE and CD-HSPA+
WiFi
Bluetooth 4.0
NFS
A-GPS
Rear Camera - 13 MP f/2.0 with flash, 1080p video
Front Camera - 2 MP f/2.0 camera
19 hours 3G talk time - 2400 mAh battery
40 hours 3G talk time when docked in tablet
Tablet dock - 1920x1200 display
400 nits display brightness

Price: €999. No word yet if it is coming to the USA

Jonney just said he is done talking about the PadFone Infinity.

But, he is not done just yet...

Now he is unveiling the FonePad (yes, the FONE-PAD)

$fonepad2.jpg

Jonney is talking about the Asus fonepad and how people carry a tablet and an HD phone AND a tablet. The fonepad will combine both in one device.

FonePad details:

Aircraft aluminum back plate
7" 1280x800 display
Intel Atom Z2420 1.2 GHz processor
1GB RAM
PowerVRSGX540 GPU
Front Camera - 1.2 MP
Rear camera - 3.0 MP
MicroSD slot up to 32 GB
Battery - up to 9 hours of runtime

2 Models have been announced:
8GB - $249 in March for the US market
16 GB - €219 in April for the European market

This is quite a bargain compared to even a Nexus 7 without 3G capabilities.

So, what are your thoughts about these new devices? Will you be running out and buying them?

Source: TransformerForums.com

Last edited:

Arbib

Feb 24, 2013
hahah....

I rather have Maxwell Smarts "Shoe Phone" at my ear.......:p

Really... WHAT is the advantage of having this replace my pocket sized cell phone?

Do people REALLY use these LARGE Pad/Phones as a Phone?

maybe at 59, I am not Hip enough ;)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
hahah....

I rather have Maxwell Smarts "Shoe Phone" at my ear.......:p

Really... WHAT is the advantage of having this replace my pocket sized cell phone?

Do people REALLY use these LARGE Pad/Phones as a Phone?

maybe at 59, I am not Hip enough ;)

No, they use the phone as a phone, regular size. When attached to the tablet it uses the phone to power the tablet, larger screen and all that jazz.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Nothing really strange to use a tablet to make calls, you just use something like this:

$ForumRunner_20130303_230921.png

I remember when the first Android tablets came out, everybody wanted to know how to use them as phones as well .I used to carry my rooted nook with me all the time and since I didn't have the note phoneI have now,I would have loved to have phone capabilities. If for work or something you have to have your tablet with you all the time,you want phone capabilities so you are set, you don't need to carry anything else.Then if you like to look like a fool, you hold it by your ear as a phone when you use it as such :-D, otherwise you use your headphones . Bring them in ,asus...we'll buy them!

Danny1234

Feb 27, 2013
Nothing really strange to use a tablet to make calls, you just use something like this:

View attachment 10154

I remember when the first Android tablets came out, everybody wanted to know how to use them as phones as well .I used to carry my rooted nook with me all the time and since I didn't have the note phoneI have now,I would have loved to have phone capabilities. If for work or something you have to have your tablet with you all the time,you want phone capabilities so you are set, you don't need to carry anything else.Then if you like to look like a fool, you hold it by your ear as a phone when you use it as such :-D, otherwise you use your headphones . Bring them in ,asus...we'll buy them!
Using such a big device to call somebody is really funny to us at present, but when it becomes common, what will you think? You will get used to do it.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
How right you are Danny! I was one of the first to buy the galaxy note 5.3 in this country,I got the German version because it wasn't on the market here yet. Everybody was kind of laughing at my big phone and now everybody has it and the note 2 is even a little bigger!