Asus MeMO Pad 8 ME181

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The 8-inch tablet ASUS MeMO Pad 8 ME181 has a slim body (8.3mm thick and weights only 320g). It features 10-point multi-touch IPS display (1280x800 dots), super narrow bezel, Intel Atom Z3745 quad-core processor, 1GB memory, 16GB ROM, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.0.
It carries 5MP back camera and 2MP front camera, and it’s capable of shooting up to 100 photos serially. The back camera support shooting a HD video.
Color: Black, White
Size: 211.7x8.3x124.9mm
Weight: 320g
Interface: microUSB, microSDXC Memory Card Slot

Source: Mynavi News via AkihabaraNews

sdunnin

Jun 30, 2014
I just picked up a ME181. Really like the hardware and design. Not very impressed with the Zen UI interface though. Pre-installed productivity app suite is pretty weak and I HATE the fact that you cannot disable any of the pre-installed apps.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

You should be able to disable some of the preinstalled apps but be careful what you wish for. Go to the app manager, scroll to all and tap each one you want to disable. If the upper right button says uninstall updates, do that first, then you should be provided an option to disable

sdunnin

Jun 30, 2014
Most all of the Asus ones (e.g. PartyLink Do It Later, etc.) do not allow. In AppInfo the top right 'Disable' button is grayed out and not actionable.

Welcome to the forum

You should be able to disable some of the preinstalled apps but be careful what you wish for. Go to the app manager, scroll to all and tap each one you want to disable. If the upper right button says uninstall updates, do that first, then you should be provided an option to disable

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Those don't at all sound like stock apps on a Me181. If they are, where did the tablet come from?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I see,. So, if there is no uninstall or disable function it wasn't intended to be able to be done. The only way you could would be to root the tablet first. Why did you want to disable them?

sdunnin

Jun 30, 2014
Well... if there are apps that you don't intend to use taking up space and cluttering up the apps list why would you not want to disable them?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Apps typically take up little space on your tablet, especially compared with other data and media. Disabling them would not save any space at all. But the icons don't need to be on any of your home pages. You can remove them, (the icons), and they would only appear in the app drawer, with ALL the apps.

sdunnin

Jun 30, 2014
Correct, getting them out of the All Apps view is one of the goals. Yes, they may not take up much space but some may utilize system resources especially ones running background services.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There is usually a way, within the app, assuming it was every usedf, to stop any activity. As far as recurses, (memory included), Android does a great job of managing them and so long as you haven't told an app to dop something like sync, update something or get something. That also should not be an issue.

The only way to accomplish what you are trying to do would be to root the tablet.

jet987

Aug 15, 2014
I just bought a used Asus MG181C online, the Best Buy version of the ME181C, I receive it next week. Aside from the color gray on the MG181C and lower price at Best Buy compared to amazon for the ME181C, I researched online and see no other differences between two models.

Eoin Fitzpatrick

Sep 26, 2014
Hi,

I have the new Intel Me!o Pad 8 with Kit Kat. I have a problem in that I cannot alter the preferred launch her from Zen UI to nova or others. When I go into the home chooser nd click on nova...NOTHING HAPPENS. Then I click home android button and no change. I have tried resetting the defaults already.he anybody else seen this problem?

Pssst3

Sep 28, 2014
I just picked up a ME181. Really like the hardware and design. Not very impressed with the Zen UI interface though. Pre-installed productivity app suite is pretty weak and I HATE the fact that you cannot disable any of the pre-installed apps.

Most of the software problems posted here about the ME181C have been mitigated by improvements in the system software. There have been two updates since July 2014. The first one enabled Move to (ext)SD. The second added an Easy interface option (like a Kid's mode when used with a limited second account).

I use few of the preinstalled apps, so also wanted to get them out of the way. Here's how I handled it.

If you have an external sd card and update your system software (About/System Update/Check Update), you can minimize the impact of Asus preinstalled apps by moving them to extsd and/or making them non-preferred .

1. From applications, uninstall any updates to each app
2. Flag it to not update automatically
3. Clear its cache and data
4. Move it to SD
5 Install your preferred replacement apps.
6 When presented with a dialog asking which app to use, select your preferred replacement and "Use always". If you later change your mind, clearing the Data and cache for that app will reenable the choice promlt.

The new Applications page off the Home Page, have an option to just display downloaded spps. SELECT IT.

The Quick Shortcuts pulldown can be edited.

The shortcuts to apps shown on the Home pages can be deleted individually and replaced by ones you download.

Selection of an alternate launcher has always been possible, enable by the installation routine or through Settings. It's necessary to specify whether it should apply to every boot, and to reboot, for it to be applied. This selection can only be made by the Owner account.