Asus Officially Announces The Android 7-inch MeMo Pad for $149; US Launch in April

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
asus-memo-pad.jpg

We've been hearing rumors of an inexpensive Asus Android tablet competitor in the market for some time now, and today Asus made it official. Their new affordable Android tab is the 7-Inch MeMo will launch in select markets this month and in the US in April for just $149.99. Here's the specs:
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean experience
  • 1GHz VIA CPU (with Mali-400 GPU)
  • 7-inch 1024x600 display
  • 1GB RAM
  • 16GB internal storage
  • A microSD slot available for expansion.
  • Front-facing 1MP shooter with a back-illuminated sensor
  • ASUS' pre-installed apps
  • 5GB of free ASUS WebStorage space
We aren't quite sure what to make of this tab. While the price is pretty good, the specs aren't quite as impressive as some of the other tablets in this price range, like the Nabi 2 and others. Also, for just $50 bucks more you can have the Nexus 7 which may be missing the microSD slot, still has better specs, and is als o made by Asus. Share your thoughts.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Wow, if it had the 1280 x 800 display, I might be interested, but with the lower resolution, not sure I would even consider it. The N7 looks a bit more appealing at $250 for the 32 GB model IMO.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The processor isn't so bad but the resolution is definitely a little too low. For the price, given that it does have an SD card slot, I could see a lot of people going for it.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Agreed, it will be a good entry level tablet for some users who never had one. Better than a lot of the cheap Chinese ones for sure.

Also, I saw Acer has a similar tablet to this one that they announced. Same resolution, same price point.

lenteenit

Nov 20, 2012
Wow, if it had the 1280 x 800 display, I might be interested, but with the lower resolution, not sure I would even consider it.
The price is competitive and Asus is also a popular brand in China. But with a 7 inches screen, in my mind it is a little small.

jiveturkee

Sep 17, 2011
This would be good for people on a tight budget. Cheaper than even a decent smartphone. Gives someone who only uses a feature (Dumb) phone an entry level taste of Android. Good move by Asus