Attaching an external Hard drive via USB to Android Net-book

flyingboy48

Apr 24, 2012
Hi there,

I am thinking of buying a 7" Mini net-book Notebook Laptop but it only has a 4GB HDD.

It has 3 USB ports and I was thinking of attaching a small External HDD caddy for storage purposes.

Can someone please advise if attaching this external HDD is simple and will the Netbook automaticallyrecognize it?

It is a mini Net-book Notebook with Android 2.2

Thanks

Flyingboy48

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Unless the drive is self-powered, do not bother, most tablets do not offer anything but mimimal voltage for things such as USB flash memory or similar. One option might be to expand with minimal impact are one of the USB sticks which are extremely small footprint. You can find and buy some as large as 16Gb. These are little more than a small bump and the USB Type A Male adapter. Not sure about price in UK, but in US these are about 7-10USD for 4Gb to about 20-30USD for 16Gb.
Many Tablets will recognize an external Powered USB drive,but must be FAT/FAT32 and NOT NTFS file structure.

flyingboy48

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for the tip, the netbook I am thinking of buying has a 32gb sd card expansion slot which will have to be enough for me.
I appreciate the useful advice.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
maybe you should look for a more powerful netbook. This sounds like a wm8650 device & they're not that great unlessyou have a lot of patience & very little money. I suggest you look for ddr at least 512mb and memory 8gb or more. The difference will be very noticeable i think. Maybe get a cheap tablet & keyboard case. Redtabletpc.com are offering an onda vx610 for around £58 ( roughly 90 usd) you can get keyboard cases for around £6/7 on ebay if you shop around. This tab has a capacitive touch screen & 8gb memory with 512mb ddr and a 1ghz cpu. Its running ics and is very good value at the moment. Well worth a look I think. I'm tempted to buy 1 for my son when I have some spare cash.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Ps it only has 1 minisb port like a lot of small tabs but with an sd card upto 32gb you shouldn't need much else. Also capacitive keyboards are very good so you might not need external keyboard. Take a look, there maybe youtube videos of tests or revirws on this tab so you can see for yourself how well it works.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet