bad display with hdmi

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
hi,
i have a simple micro-hdmi m to hdmi f from ebay.
when i connect it to the tv (tried with the 2 i have in my home), the picture is stretched and the quality it very unsatisfying.
as far as i know it shouldn't be like that...
i tried finding some software that will help me manage my displays (resolution, ration, and even the basic turning off the tablet screen when connected) with no success.
is anybody else experiencing this issue?

thanks.

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
When I connect my A500 via HDMI to my TV, it duplicates the screen faithfully. Do you have a newer or older TV? If it's older, maybe it isn't completely compatible. Also, my A500 came with a micro-HDMI cable--is it possible your cable is faulty?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The problem lies with your tv. Many tv sets have a setting to make different display resolutions work well with various sizes of media.

Try a letter box format on the tv aspect ratio.

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
hi,
have tried with 2 different LED tv's. (both 16:9)
both full HD, tweaked all the settings with no success...
could it be the micro-hdmi to hdmi connector?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It's not the connector. Those things are dumb as a rock, and not able to cause stretching.
Your tablet is not 16:9 unless you are playing movie. Try a different aspect ratio on the tv settings.

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
i dont have a stretch setting as far as i can see,
it has some 16:9,4:3,subtitle, movie modes...
the best fit is 16:9 but i lose the edges and it has bad quality.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
i dont have a stretch setting as far as i can see,
it has some 16:9,4:3,subtitle, movie modes...
the best fit is 16:9 but i lose the edges and it has bad quality.

I've never seen a LED, LCD or Plasma that didn't have the Stretch setting.

When you watch a Non HD Channel does it fill the screen or do you have Side Bars?

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
ok.
i'll ask one more simple question,
is there any kind of way to just change the display settings in thor rom?
i'm guessing that if the tv can't auto negotiate the configuration that i need to set it manually on the a500...
can't i control it in android the same way i do with linux\windows\any other os?
b.t.w, thanks for helping.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
So are you using the thor rom?

You might have told us that in the first place. We are all operating on the assumption you had a properly working Acer, not a hacked machine that thinks its an Asus.

Why don't you post the brand and model number of the TV so we can go google up the manual for you and see if there is any settings you are overlooking?

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
There are lots of scams and myths in the HDMI cable world:

Misleading Labeling
High-Priced HDMI Cables Make Your HDTV Look Better
The Cable Game
HDMI Cable myth debunked
Brands don't matter.

Unless your cable got wet (submerged for hours) and has water infiltration, or corroded contacts, they all work the same.

"Unless your cable got wet (submerged for hours) and has water infiltration, or corroded contacts, they all work the same."

While I agree with you on all the above with the exception of the wet issue that is not correct, I simply got a POS HDMI Cable :)