Best Android Tablet for Game Emulation?

Jul 8, 2012
Hello there. I am buying an Android tablet. I don't currently own one, so I don't know if this post belongs here. I've been searching and this seems like a good place to ask. What is the best Android Tablet for emulating game consoles such as Nintendo 64 or Playstation, or possibly Nintendo DS fluently? I was thinking of replacing the Kindle Fire or Google Nexus 7's flash memory card, but I'd like to hear from you guys. I'd prefer a 7 inch and under $400. the Motorola Xoom 7" looks pretty good.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The Nesoid series is pretty good. I use NESoid and SNESoid all the time with a WiiMote and classic controller to play old school games. (nesoid.com)

N64 Emulator in the Play store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.n64.emulator.free&feature=search_result) has good reviews. I have not tried it, but that should do what you need.

As far as replacing the memory card, I am going to say good luck. Most of these devices have it soldered on to the board, and it is also partitioned into a few pieces (data, cache, system, recovery, etc.) and you would have to get these partitions (and a recovery program) on to the chip before it will boot to anything. Without recovery, it would pretty much be like a PC with no BIOS and an empty hard drive.

You may want to consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus or the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Both come with a minimum of 8 GB of internal storage and advertise 32 GB capable microSD slot (if you format the 64 GB card to NTFS those work as well).

It has a slightly lower resolution than the the Nexus7, but with storage expansion. The Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" sells for around $250 for the 8 GB model. I have not seen any larger ones, but I heard a rumor they exist. I saw the 32 GB 7.0 Plus for $438 on Amazon (and it has a better front facing camera than the Tab 2 7.0)

Twin561

Jul 8, 2012
Hp touchpad!!!! It ships with web os. But thanks to cyanogenmod 9 and the ability to dual boot both android and web os, makes the touchpad the best tablet in the world for the price. I currently own several tablets so im not just saying it for nothing...but i can tell you to stay away from coby kyros tablets, they are cheap in price and in hardware

Jul 8, 2012
Twin, I'm sure the HP Touchpad is nice, but I'm looking for a tablet around 7 inches. also, would you guys recommend the Motorola Xoom 7" once it comes out?