Best suited tablet for in-car juke box use

Vicne

Dec 16, 2010
Hi, all,

I am looking for a way to conveniently listen to my music collection (130Gb+) while driving in my car. In my previous car, I had integrated a carPC for that purpose, but I don't feel like starting all over again now that tablets are all over the place...

So I am looking for a tablet that would allow me to connect an external USB drive (separate power supply is not an issue in the car) and run a simple audio player to play mp3s. Apart from that, it just needs a finger-friendly touchscreen and that's all.

Do you gurus have a specific model to advise ? Anyone using a hard drive connected to a tablet ?

All comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Vicne

johnxfly

Jan 13, 2011
I don't have 130 gig of music (good lord!) but I've been thinking the same thing. Most of the expensive features in a high end car stereo are already part of a (relatively) inexpensive tablet or cell phone:

• MP3 Player
  • GPS mapping with traffic, turn by turn directions, etc..
  • GPS that doesn't require an annual DVD update or subscription
  • The ability to connect an external microphone via bluetooth
  • Automatic muting of music when the phone rings
  • Pandora, or Rhapsody
  • podcasts
  • video
  • Angry Birds? who knows..
I already carry my music library on phone so I don't want to replicate it again on another proprietary device. What I'd really like to see is the "car stereo" turn into just an amplifier and speakers connected to my smart phone or tablet via bluetooth.
All I really want is:

• Volume control
  • On / Off switch
  • a Bluetooth receiver connected to my amplifier
  • power for the cell phone / tablet ( this could really just be the standard cigarette lighter plug)
  • A way to hold my phone / tablet in the general area where the radio was.
  • maybe a way to connect some sort of external drive for Vicne's 130 gig of stuff!
Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of selling my expensive Alpine double DINN stereo and fabricating something tablet related.

irishboym4

May 27, 2011
Im also interested in this same deal! The tablet would ideally also have a dock connector and just be docked in the car. If a dedicated volume control system could be used it would be good aswell.