Best Tablet for College?

xvvw42809

Apr 16, 2012
Hello everyone, I am new here and I am considering getting a tablet for college. Which brings me to my question, which tablet is good for college students? I am going to school for Healthcare Management in the fall and need a tablet for textbooks. My college uses the universal digital textbook program and the Nook study as well. It would also be great if I could get one with some sort of app or program for writing. Thank you very much everyone!

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hello everyone, I am new here and I am considering getting a tablet for college. Which brings me to my question, which tablet is good for college students? I am going to school for Healthcare Management in the fall and need a tablet for textbooks. My college uses the universal digital textbook program and the Nook study as well. It would also be great if I could get one with some sort of app or program for writing. Thank you very much everyone!

Hi xvvw42809, welcome to the forum. Maybe you can have a look at our Android 4.0 Tablets, And personally, i think the hottest Ainol novo 7 Aurora with LG IPS screen will be the best choice for you. hope you'll find what you want finally! :)

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
Hi

Glad to answer your questions.

I think before you buy a tablet, you should have a list, write your demand, the tablet size, the functions you must need, and the function you don't care, also what is your budget for this tablets? as for the general use, i think a 7 inch one, with capacitive touch screen, with at least cortext A8 processor and at least Mail-400 GPU will be best choice for you now.

you can ask me any questions when you pick up a tablet, will give you the professional suggestions, from brand tablet to no brand.

Androidinabox

Mar 15, 2012

Hi, how much are you willing to spend for the tablet? Also, it would easier for us to help you if you tell us more about your requirements of the tablet.

xvvw42809

Apr 16, 2012
Hi everyone, so basically what I want is a tablet that will work with the Nook Study program because I will mainly be using the tablet for textbook reading and such. I will use it a little for web browsing as well. As for my budget, I am going up to 250 dollars max. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

xvvw42809

Apr 16, 2012
Also I was looking at the Nook Color, the Asus Transformer, and Acer iconia Tab A500. I know that the the Asus and Acer is out of my price range, but people have been telling me these are good tablets. They have to work with Nook study though, otherwise it will be useless for college use. Thanks again everyone!!!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Also I was looking at the Nook Color, the Asus Transformer, and Acer iconia Tab A500. I know that the the Asus and Acer is out of my price range, but people have been telling me these are good tablets. They have to work with Nook study though, otherwise it will be useless for college use. Thanks again everyone!!!

What's your budget?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Currently Nook Study only works with PC or Mac, there is no Android or iOS app. So tablets that work with it are out though they do say they have plans to expanded beyond computers in the future (NOOK Study Support, Digital Textbooks, eTextbook Application - Barnes & Noble).

The next question you need to ask yourself is if Nook Study is out, at least for now, what do you want from a tablet. If it is primarily for reading materials (though not Nook Study) then you may want to consider a smaller portable form factor like 7-8 inches. This is comfortable for reading for long periods in all sorts of positions and highly portable. If you need it primary to hand write notes or type long papers or put presentations together, you might want a 10" screen. This will allow the tablet to be a little more like a netbook when combined with a docking station or keyboard and give you a bit more surface for notes or to see your presentation details. General things like youtube, email and internet browsing will be fine on both sizes. So it comes down to what you primarily intend on using it for and how portable you need it to be.

Personally I would look into Nook Color, Nook Tablet (if B&N does make Nook Study available on tablets these may get it first) and Vizio Vtab for current 7-8" devices which can be had for between $100-$200 if you look carefully. Maybe also the Ainol mentioned above. For a lager device I would recommend the Le Pan Tablets which can be had for about $180 (the TC970) to about $250 (Le Pan II) or even a used iPad. If you can wait until the end of the year there should be a whole new crop of ~$250 tablets with good specs to choose from.

xvvw42809

Apr 16, 2012
Hi J515OP, thanks for the awesome feedback. Now what question to you is, are the Ainol, Le Pan tablets any good? I tried to look online for info, but I could not find much on them.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The Le Pan is definitely popular and has a pleasant forum. You can get a whole lot of information here Le Pan Tablets.

There is a little less gong on with the Ainol here Novo7 but if you search this site using the search feature, you will find many random threads with people responding what they think about it after having picked one up.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi J515OP, thanks for the awesome feedback. Now what question to you is, are the Ainol, Le Pan tablets any good? I tried to look online for info, but I could not find much on them.

Hi xvvw42809, Ainol novo 7 series tablets are well-know among the market now, the Ainol novo 7 Aurora with IPS screen is one of the most popular 7 inch tablet in the market, for only $169.99 shipped, perfectly fit your budget. you can do some research about it. and hope you'll find what you want finally! Good luck! :)

Kingsman

Oct 31, 2011
Hi J515OP, thanks for the awesome feedback. Now what question to you is, are the Ainol, Le Pan tablets any good? I tried to look online for info, but I could not find much on them.[/QUOTE
_______

I have a friend who got one of these in the mail a couple of months ago. I was l using a Zenithink zt180 at the time, and even though I really liked it, it had been smashed. I had already ordered a Zenithink C91 when he got the Le Pan. I liked the look and feel of the Le Pan even though it was an Android 2.2 tablet. It felt very solid.

The day following I got my new Zt-C91. It had ICS 4.03, 1 gig rom, 8 gig nand drive, 32 gig tft card, 7,000 mhz battery (More than 7 hrs battery life), and tons of software. It felt really nice, was solid, had all the ports and bells and whistles. That is, except for a camera on the back side, and that the speakers are both on one end. I had not bought the tablet for the camera, or stereo speakers, but for productivity, mostly so that I could use it for music display as I was playing my music. I rapidly discovered that this was a really amazing tool, loaded to the gills with really wonderful stuff. My friend saw it later that day.

For whatever reason, my friend sent his Le Pan tablet back that same day.

Now, about two weeks later, he just received a refurbished XOOM tablet with ICS. It has 32 gig nand, and extended battery life (about the same as mine), a nice rear facing camera with flash (Mine doesn't have a rear facing camera), and really good stereo speakers. I installed a bunch of software for him, so had an opportunity to. really put it through it's paces. I have a problem with my left hand, so that the On/Off switch and the volume switch are in the wrong place for me on the XOOM(Both on the left side). The XOOM lacks a full size USB port. Except for these things I've listed, the XOOM and the Zt-C91 are nearly equal in performance. I couldn't see any difference. Now, my friend paId $250 for his refurbished XOOM. I paid $210 for my ZT-C91. Well, this hasn't been so much about the Le Pan as about the XOOM and the Zenithink C91. Check them out, but I really can recommend both of them

The XOOM is a bit heavier than my Zenithink. It's a little bit smaller as well. It has a lot larger nand drive. The screen on the XOOM and the screen on the ZT-C91 are about equal on viewing angle, colour saturation, sharpness, and the speed of the two tablets is indistinguishable. While he was with me I upgraded his firmware. Fairly simple. Last night I upgraded my firmware-just a little more difficult. All in all though, with the positioning of controls, the lack of a full size USB port, etc., makes me feel that the Zenithink C91 is a much better value at $210 than the refurbished XOOM at $250.

Last edited:

jnunnaley

Oct 14, 2012
hi there im looking for a good tabket for college..im going to college to study criminal justice in arts..my budget is 500$