Big hello from an Android noob

bilber

Jul 14, 2012
Hello regular posters. I've just bought my very first Android device. It's a Kogan 8 tablet. I wanted a cheap tablet to get started with and bought this for £65. I wanted something to basically do what I do on my phone but with a bigger screen.

I've come in to this knowing nothing at all about Android (I've got an Iphone ;)) and have never used a tablet before.

I bought it two days ago and so far I've rooted it so I could remove the phone apk to stop it constantly looking for a 3g signal and using up 75% of the battery on a useless task. I've loaded flash 11 and can now get the BBC Iplayer working.

What I really wanted to do was get Sky Go on it, and assumed it would be as easy as it is on Iphone :eek: I loaded the app up with the apk file (tried 3 different ones) but obviously it won't work properly. The app loads fine but when I pick a programme it says it needs an update. I know I'll never get Sky Go on it, so thats fine I've accepted that now.

Has anyone got any recommendations for some good apps?

So hello everyone, hope to hear back from some of you.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Bilber, congratulations on your new Kogan 8 and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, there isn't a forum specifically for your tablet. If/when you have a problem or a question, the Android Tablet Q&A section would be the place to go. Just click that link and you'll be there.

From what you've written, it seems you've got a pretty good grasp of Android. If you'd like to look at some additional basic Android and tablet information read through the "Sticky" threads at the beginning of the section I gave you the link to.

I see from your other post you've already found the app section and hopefully you'll find what you need there.

Enjoy your new tablet and the forum!

bilber

Jul 14, 2012
Hello and welcome to the forum!! We are happy to have ya with us!!

Congrats on the new tab!

Hello smalltowngirl, thanks for the welcome. Where are all the regular posters? Is there not much community sprit on these boards?

Im quite surprised at the lack of responses to these welcome threads tbh.

Mattorock01

Jul 18, 2012
Congrats on the new tablet! im a new poster myself but im wondering what kind of apps are you interested in?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Bilber,,.I can say I'm a regular poster....I'm kind of tired of welcoming all new members to tell you the truth and so are all the others I guess but I'll make an exception for you since you just bought a fish: welcome to the forum!!! Great to have you here..... or I hope so! :-D
Gloria

bilber

Jul 14, 2012
Congrats on the new tablet! im a new poster myself but im wondering what kind of apps are you interested in?

Just the normal stuff I guess, sky sports news, facebook, the odd time filler game, BBC Iplayer. What I would really like to do is watch some footy on Sky Go when the kids are hogging the telly, but it doesn't look like Sky are in any hurry to address the android market fully.

Hi Bilber,,.I can say I'm a regular poster....I'm kind of tired of welcoming all new members to tell you the truth and so are all the others I guess but I'll make an exception for you since you just bought a fish: welcome to the forum!!! Great to have you here..... or I hope so! :-D
Gloria

Yeah I can quite understand that looking at the number of members, many of whom probably register to ask a specific question and then don't return once they have their answer.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Go to Android apps. and look for the thread: kogan agora 8 - apps which work/don't work..

bilber

Jul 14, 2012
Go to Android apps. and look for the thread: kogan agora 8 - apps which work/don't work..

I already have, that's what brought me to this forum. I've made two posts in that thread.

Its strange though because when you try to download an app from the store it says its not compatible but if you side load the apk file it works? Confusing.com

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
It happens to me to with my nook too but then I always find the way to get the app I want on my tablet, thanks to the help of the forum of course and ultimately that's what counts! :-D
But there is a reason why there are problems with some apps and somebody explained it once on the forum.....I let I you know if I find where! Did you instal the dolphin browser,.I saw on that thread that it should work on your tablet and it's a great browser,my favorite right now. I wonder if you can install go launcher as a launcher,I love it, it has really cool effects,I have it on my galaxy note.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
And when you have a nice wallpaper on your screen and some nice apps to show off ,you can take a screenshot ( hopefully you can do that with your tablet!) and come and post it in my thread full of great screenshots, a thread started some time ago...you go to nook-nook themes and wallpapers - hit stickies and -just screenshots.-
Hope to see you there..you can check it out also for apps that people use on their tablets.
Gloria