Bluetooth Tethering for Acer Iconia A500

pamie

May 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just got the Acer Iconia A500 and love it. I am trying to do bluetooth tethering using PDANET so I can use my cell phones 3G/4G connection for Internet access when wi-fi is not available. I have the Samsung Epic from Sprint and when I try to pair it to the tablet the status on the tablet states "paired but not connected". The bluetooth status on my cell phone states "paired". Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there are apps that you can use for a rooted phone but since I'm still new to the android platform I really want to see what other options are out there for non-rooted phones. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Bluetooth profiles included with this release include only A2DP (wireless headsets).
Additional profiles will happen come in June. Till then, nothing except headphones will work.
Not even my Jawbone.

Its often better to fix the Cellphone than the tablet. PDANET only does Ad-Hoc access points.
Its not a true router. It might be better to look for a package that converts the Sammy to a true
wireless access point, like the Nexus One.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
I have no problem pairing my A500 with my Nexus S, Windows 7 PC, and Sony MW600 headset. Have you tried disconnecting then reconnecting from each device?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have no problem pairing my A500 with my Nexus S, Windows 7 PC, and Sony MW600 headset. Have you tried disconnecting then reconnecting from each device?

But can you DO anything via your Nexus S or Win 7 PC?

If you re-read the first post, you will see that the message is "Paired but not connected". So Pairing is not the problem.

The problem is the the Bluetooth profile does not offer any thing except A2DP, (stereo music out). No file transfer, no modem, no network adaptor, no anything but stereo out.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Yes I can exchange files with both the PC and Nexus S. I can also play audio from the A500 through my PC. I forgot to mention that I also have the bluetooth keyboard for the moto xoom and it works just fine, hot keys included. Acer also sells aa bluetooth keyboard for the A500 so clearly bluetooth aupport isnt just limited to A2DP.

rkka93

May 5, 2011
A few weeks ago, I had the same problem when trying to tether via bluetooth to my Droid. Wireless tethering worked fine after applying the updated wpa_supplicant file.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yes I can exchange files with both the PC and Nexus S. I can also play audio from the A500 through my PC. I forgot to mention that I also have the bluetooth keyboard for the moto xoom and it works just fine, hot keys included. Acer also sells aa bluetooth keyboard for the A500 so clearly bluetooth aupport isnt just limited to A2DP.

Ok, you're correct, this now works since I got my upgrade. I couldn't do this before.

There is still the problem that the Acer does not always advertise its capabilities over the Bluetooth protocol, so you just
have to send in the blind when sending files to it.

Its still pretty flaky for sending files, because even when you are paired, you often have to make the acer discover-able for the sender to start sending. (No clue why this is). But I was able to send a couple songs to both Linux and Windows machines.

fireerl

Jun 12, 2011
...although I am not using the Acer tablet, I am using the ASUS Eee Transformer. (OS Android 3.1) In its specs it states that it too is only compatible with the stereo out function. I tested this, and found that my Blue Tooth on the ASUS was able to find and communicate with my (Droid) phone. I have sent, Mp3s, Mp4s, Jpegs, and PDF files both large and small with NO problems. This was/is a pleasant surprise, after reading so much to the contrary. I do get "Paired but not connected" message, but yet it works fine. And most recently used my phone as an access point via Blue Tooth, to let the Tablet do the surfing. It would seem that if both OS are Google/Android based, there seems to be no problem with interoperability.:cool:

mantiz

Jun 11, 2011
...although I am not using the Acer tablet, I am using the ASUS Eee Transformer. (OS Android 3.1) In its specs it states that it too is only compatible with the stereo out function. I tested this, and found that my Blue Tooth on the ASUS was able to find and communicate with my (Droid) phone. I have sent, Mp3s, Mp4s, Jpegs, and PDF files both large and small with NO problems. This was/is a pleasant surprise, after reading so much to the contrary. I do get "Paired but not connected" message, but yet it works fine. And most recently used my phone as an access point via Blue Tooth, to let the Tablet do the surfing. It would seem that if both OS are Google/Android based, there seems to be no problem with interoperability.:cool:

what droid phone are you using? Can you explain how you got it to work I have an original droid and was able to pair them but also get the "paired but not connected " message but could not get it to tether with my droid is there a setting on the phone that has to be disabled or enabled?

beastman

May 8, 2011
I used the all called "Pdanet Tablet" and installed it on both my Evo and my gtablet. The Evo run as server and gtablet as client. Be sure to set the port forwards on your tablet, and then clear them when you are done. This approach is free. Only browsing the net and curving email work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

buffaloquinn

May 21, 2011
One of the things I've noticed with the bluetooth connections is that it won't always connect automatically. If you press and hold on the item in Bluetooth settings sometimes a popup appears asking you if you want to connect.

jbyronh

Jun 26, 2011
i got OS 3.1 yesterday as OTA for my A500 and can now connect a Mac bluetooth keyboard. Could not get it to work with 3.0.1

Jul 30, 2011
How do I use the data connection on my Samsung Galaxy to check for mails and surf the web using the A500? Or, is this not possible at all

In my case I also see the "paired by not connected" message.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Seadart

Jul 24, 2011
'Paired but not Connected' is right. When you initiate a transfer it will automatically make the connetion and close it when done, saves battery I think. I was puzzeled by this initaly with my HTC Desire HD and I see it again with this Transformer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Jul 30, 2011
'Paired but not Connected' is right. When you initiate a transfer it will automatically make the connetion and close it when done, saves battery I think. I was puzzeled by this initaly with my HTC Desire HD and I see it again with this Transformer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Thanks. But what I want to do is not really to transfer files, but to access the data connection on my phone.

I have been using MobileAP with a WPA2 security feature. But I have noticed that it does affect the battery of the phone, which was not all that hot to begin.