Brit Noob!

Oct 22, 2010
Hi all. I'm British, and getting on in years... :) I hate Apple and all things appley - but I've been fascinated by tablets. I couldn't justify one for myself, but I thought what a great present an Android tablet would make for Christmas for my wife. Of course, I'll need to provide her with technical support - who wants to open a shiny new present and then spend time finding the WPA key, right? - so I bought one early to give me a little time to find out what it does and how it does it. It arrived yesterday.

I should say, I guess, that as well as hating all things appley, I am totally cellphone-phobic, and only carry one in the car for emergencies. My wife, on the other hand, loves her HTC to bits - and probably knows more about Android than I do. My plan is that that won't last long, however.

So, what did I buy? Something that allegedly has this specification:

Running ANDROID 2.1 OS (Firmware updates almost every week currently)
Internet support via WiFi or built in Ehternet Card
Support HD video with smooth playback
2GB NANDFLASH
256mb Ram
ZT-180A Cpu @ 1GHZ
Supports MicroSd card ( up to 16GB)
10.2" Touch screen with resolution of 1024x600

CPU: Genunine 1GHz ZT-180 Arm based CPU
Operating System: Android 2.1 or Windows CE
Browser: Google Browser & SkyFire Browser
Android Market: Works - but needs user to run some scripts to have it working. we have done a guide.
Other Markets: For application we install other Market Applications.
Memory Capacity: 256MB
Nandflash: 2GB
Supported Languages: English, Chinese, other
Color Display: 10.2" TFT LCD with Resistance Touch Screen
Resolution: 1024x576
Input: Resistive single point touchscreen
Sensors: Zenithink 2 axis sensor
Camera:None
I/O Ports: 1 x Standard USB 2.0 & 1 x Mini USB OTG
Audio output: 3.5 mm jack, integrated speakers
Audio input: built-in microphone
Networking: 802.11 Wireless b/g & 1x Mini Network Port (for Ethernet)
Peripheral Support: USB HOST (mouse, keyboard, memory stick, more untested)
Battery: 3500mAh
Battery Type: Rechargeable
Expansion memory: Transflash (microSD) up to 16 GB ONLY ( NOT 32GB)
Supported video formats: MKV (H.264 HP)/RMVB/MPEG-4/FLV/MPEG-1/MPEG-2
Supported audio formats: MP3, WMA. FLAC, AAC, AC3, OGG, WAV
Supported picture formats: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF. TIFF
Dimensions: 270mm x 185mm x 25mm

In fact, you can read all about it (and the seller) here:

10.2" Android 2.1 ZT-180a 1GHZ CPU 256RAM Apad / ePad on eBay (end time 03-Nov-10 01:24:04 GMT)

It comes in a (nice) box and is known as an 'ePad'.

Fortunately, it seems that the seller 'intercepts' every tablet he sells and loads a number of useful apps on it - I have an e-book reader, a .pdf reader, various games and cool widgets and many icons I haven't explored yet.

So far, I've been pretty impressed (given what seems to me to be a pretty low price: £160, or about 250 of your US dollars (we're very used to being ripped off for electronics here...) - but questions are starting to arise, and I hope I'll be able to get them answered here.

I'm pretty PC-literate - I spend a lot of time on PC forums (fora?) trying to improve my knowledge (and to try to help others) so I'm looking forward to 'meeting' you and having you help me make my wife a very happy lady... :)