Browser Crashes All The Time

figmo

Dec 8, 2011
OK, so I just picked a SYTAB10ST. I liked the price. But more important - THE SIZE (10"). This is my first Android device. I have an IPad and an HP TouchPad.

What I am wanting to do with these devices is use them in a Kiosk. So the ONLY thing I am interested in is the web browser. No games/apps/contact management/blah blah blah. And I'm not just randomly browsing the web or viewing flash. Just always viewing the the same 10 or so pages that I have written for my web app.

And that seems to be the only thing on this device that does not work. The browser constantly crashes. I can't browse more than 5 minutes or so without it just returning to the home screen. No error. No notice. Just boom - you're done. Always different pages. This is a straight out of the box device. Have tried updating it - same problem. Have tried downloading the Dolphin Mini browser. Same problem. So I think I'll just get my money back on this device.

Enough background - now my question: is this a typical Android browser problem? I realize I bought bottom of the barrel here. If this is just a "got what I paid for" situation, then I have no problem going for a more expensive unit. Within reason. The reason I'm looking at Android is because I need about 10-20 of these Kiosks eventually and do not want to shell out the money for that many IPads.

I've searched the forum and seen others with this same problem (on different hardware). But from what I've seen - it's a rare problem for everybody else. People are reporting "once a week" or even "once a day". On my device, it's every few minutes!!

So - is the Android browser solid enough to run for 5 hours without crashing . Is it my device? Or is it Android?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It isn't Android. Some browsers may have issues but Dolphin Mini shouldn't be one of them. There are many other browsers you can try and a quick search here will lead to some recommendations. Searching the Market will also pull up many options.

I'm not familiar with the SYTAB10ST but I am wondering if it has enough RAM to handle what you are using it for. Try rebooting and try clearing the cache and see if either of those helps.

figmo

Dec 8, 2011
The problem exists straight out of the box. Seriously. I bought 3 of these devices. After having trouble with the first I fished another out of the box and just connected to my wi-fi and started surfing the web. No updates. No settings changes. Within about 3 minutes - browser shuts down.

More info: This seems to ONLY happen when the device is in portrait mode (held long side vertical). When holding it in landscape mode I can surf for 30+ mins with no problems. Soon as I rotate it, it only takes 3 or 4 page loads before it crashes.

So I wonder if Android has a problem with the 10" screen size in the vertical direction. I say "Android" because I have the EXACT same behavior with two different browsers. So I'm hesitant to say it's the stock browser on the device causing the problem. Dolphin Mini gets great reviews from just about everybody out there - but has the same problem on my device. So it's gotta be either the OS or some video driver issue.