Browser Exits to WEB menu after 8-12 hours

mphouston

Feb 6, 2011
Got a new S7. Works great except for one thing. I leave it on a web page that updates with AJAX calls every few minutes. After 8-12 hours, it returns to the main 'Web' screen(the one with the Yahoo Hot list and Borwse/RSS reader icons by default).

I have the screen saver/sleep turned off (always plugged in). No messages. I have not actually watched it return to the 'web' screen. Not obviously rebooted (uptime seems to be 5+ days).

Any ideas? I guess I could live with a way to make it default to my status web page instead of the 'web' screen.

I am using this as an 'always on' monitor for a home network and don't want to have to tweak it every 8 hours.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Got a new S7. Works great except for one thing. I leave it on a web page that updates with AJAX calls every few minutes. After 8-12 hours, it returns to the main 'Web' screen(the one with the Yahoo Hot list and Borwse/RSS reader icons by default).

I have the screen saver/sleep turned off (always plugged in). No messages. I have not actually watched it return to the 'web' screen. Not obviously rebooted (uptime seems to be 5+ days).

Any ideas? I guess I could live with a way to make it default to my status web page instead of the 'web' screen.

I am using this as an 'always on' monitor for a home network and don't want to have to tweak it every 8 hours.

Initially change your browser.
Try skyfire and make it the default browser.
I have my S7 on all the time with no such problem.

mphouston

Feb 6, 2011
Tried both suggestions (WiFi always connected and another browser). It still exits to the 'desktop (web)' after about 8 hours.

Thanks anyway. I will keep looking into it. Maybe Android 2.2 (someday) will help.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
I think it may be an Ajax issue.

I have done quite a bit of work with ajax and I found that it can gobble up memory to the point where the browser hangs.

So I think your browser is crashing out of memory.

I suggest you create a static page with a Meta replace tag, load that and see if that keeps running.

Pete, on the move...

mphouston

Feb 6, 2011
I will look into the Ajax issue. I am not running autokiller. I think I can periodically do a full page refresh and that might free up the memory if Ajax is leaking memory. I will also try a simple page and see if it bails. The default image Gallery stays up for 24+ hours.

Now to find something to tell me how much memory the browser is using.

Thanks.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
You can write a wee shell script to run from the terminal

Create file /sdcard/myscript, then

$ busybox chmod +x /sdcard/myscript

$ /sdcard/myscript > /sdcard/somelogfile &

myscript contents

#!/system/bin/sh

while true
do
echo '_______________'
date
busybox ps -o comm,rss
sleep 300
done

Pete, on the move...

mphouston

Feb 6, 2011
It was a memory issue. Memory was slowly dropping as my Ajax logic ran. Refreshing the with an HTML META tag every hour did the trick. I used the Task Manager app to display free memory on the desktop.

Time to recycle my Archos brick...

Thanks for the pointers.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Ah got it, so you modified the page containing the ajax to reload itself and hence collect up it's garbage

The simple solutions are always the best

Pete, on the move...