But how do they actually PERFORM...?

rex2011

Dec 4, 2011
I've seen a lot of stuff about "Angry Birds," Farmville, Rooting, and a whole bunch of other stuff I consider a total waste of time and energy.

What I want to simply know is: how do the Craig tablets actually perform?

I've done extensive searches on quite a few other sites, and most folks who actually use them as they're intended (email, e-reader, web surfing, etc.) give them very positive reviews.

What's the general consensus on this forum?

Android is my preferred operating system so I love that aspect.

Any thoughts on the actual product -- not about what it should/could/can't/might do...?

nicabod

Dec 5, 2011
Preliminary remarks: I'd like to reply, but, first, I fumbled toward the end of entering my unlock pattern; had only two choices: confirm, or power down. Confirming was impossible; didn't know what it had stored. Exchanged (RESET switch doesn't reset the password!). Now, after getting acquainted with the second one, can't connect via WiFi. Been wasting time struggling to get basics going, so far. Did have some luck with Color Notes, once I figured out how it works. Very frustrating, not being able to put a note where you want to. You have to do it our way!

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Mine works good. Not good for playing games on it tho. Watch movies and surfing web Facebook and twitter works great. Only problem i have is Google Android 2.2.1 SUCKS!!! and WiFi isnt very strong. At home works good but i travel alot and i have problems at hotels where im just to far from wifi antenna.

FPGFHFMA

Dec 13, 2011
Difficult to respond to your question not knowing what your major use will be.
I can ditto m3red response so far for facebook,web,email, netflix ereader its fine of course this is my first and only tablet plus I don't even have a smart phone. I have not traveled with it but I did take it to the hospital where I work and its picked up and connected to our guest network (which we provide to patients and visitors) with no problem and a strong signal.
From what I see depending on what you pay the only issue is the 90 day warranty.
Everyone in the family who knows more then me has either Nooks or IPAD said I should have spent $150 more and got a Nook tablet.
But this is not something I needed I thought it was a good deal and I took a chance paying $95. I do like the access to the Market.

Echoes

Dec 16, 2011
How does mine work now? Its getting better but i recommend a stylus. Rooted without issues and working on trimming out useless things while making it do things my way. Great for streaming music, facebook and web with opera mini.

How does a factory one perform? Like Lindsay Lohan.

Sent from my rk2818sdk using Android Tablet Forum

Just4Fun

Dec 16, 2011
I bought 3 Craig tablets as Christmas gifts. I wanted to provide ebooks for the included ereader. I may be the only one to have an issue, but the micro sd card where I installed the books is not correctly recognized by the ebook reader. That was a major disappointment for me. The people getting the tablets are not tablet literate. They need something that just works. I'm still gifting them with the tablets. I've found a workaround via Explorer, but it is clunky at best and, at worst, may confuse the recipients.

The tablet is responds well with my home wireless. It was a little less sterling when I tested at the local Starbucks: sluggish, lost signal, etc. Surfing is adequate. Simple games are fine too. It isn't a speed demon, but it isn't a turtle either.

The internal memory is very restrictive due to the bloatware that has been installed on the machine by the company. You will be able to install only a limited number of books or games internally. That is why people root these tablets. However, at this point, that will destroy your wifi completely. For most people the equals a "brick".

The screen response is good. I do admit to some frustration over trying to swipe up and down. That could just be me. I like a keyboard. I'm not typically an Android person either. I play with tablets for development (mostly simulators), but do have an iPhone. That is about it as far as the touch screens go.

The included app store is called "Slide". It isn't the greatest, but it does have a variety of apps. If you have an Amazon account, you could try their app store and/or their Kindle Reader for Android. That might make the sd card unnecessary. Downloading the apps-games worked well for me.

Build quality could be better, but really, for the price, the tablets do offer the basics. I'd be fine with them if they didn't seem to have the sd card issues. All of the 3 tablets have the card issues. If you get one that works, you will likely be happy.

HTHs

Last edited:

rex2011

Dec 4, 2011
Just an FYI - since starting this thread I got the Craig tablet for Christmas. I don't know why everyone's rooting and whatnot -- but for me it worked terrific right out of the box.

Wifi connect took about 10 seconds to set up. All software works, although I don't need some of it (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) because that's not what I got this for.

I want to use this tablet primarily to check email while traveling for my work, a little web browsing, and I was hoping to use Google Voice to make/receive calls.

Now.. on the negative side... I can't get Google Voice to work for the life of me (and I'm quite computer literate.)

Also, I just can't figure out how to delete my downloads to the tablet's internal memory -- but I haven't tried connecting to PC yet, so maybe that's the ticket.

In any event, for the money, this thing is really terrific.

I do use the stylus. I can't do the touchpad thing on this any better than I can do it on my cell phone.

Just wanted to follow up, and thanks to those who replied.