BYOD

gincrabby

Nov 14, 2013
So our company has gotten on the bandwagon and started a BYOD program where we can bring our own tablet/laptop. It's a part of their program promoting environment awareness. I don't know exactly how this works yet, what they'll do for security etc. But are you allowed to BYOD in your work and use it instead of the device provided by the company? If so, any issues or problems?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Personally I have issues with that. Many years ago I advised a customer of mine not to allow BYOD but he did it anyway and it cost him dearly. Long story. Maintaining security in that case is difficult to impossible if it's the primary work device and it's a laptop or tablet. There are protections the company can put in place for most phones these days but not nearly enough for other devices. But again, that's just my opinion.

gincrabby

Nov 14, 2013
Exactly. That's what I'm worried about too. I told them that we should just ask the energy management company for some other way but no, they won't listen. Oh well, nothing a measly employee can do lol

Last edited: