Can I upgrade my Android Tablet (3.2 to 4.0).

qbano004

Dec 19, 2011
I have a Toshiba Thrive 10" with Honeycomb 3.2 and I was trying to find out if there will be a way to upgrade the operating system to 4.0. I know there are a couple of companies offering to upgrade phones but I wanted to know if this will be an option offered to everyone. One of the things that usually make PCs and MACs desirable is the ability to upgrade operating systems. Will this ever be an option with Android where I will just be able to purchase the next version of the Operating System and upgrade my tablet or phone?

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
No. You can't buy the upgraded os. It is open source. Only Toshiba knows if they will port ics to the thrive.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

Calibre

Dec 18, 2011
are there any sort of mods on the market right now for the thrive, I just got mine a week ago so,im pretty new to owning a tablet..like maybe upgrading or hacking the speed. The look and feel of the os it currently has..wouldnt mind something that looked like windows 7

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive 10 inch Tablet using Android Tablet Forum

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
You would probably need to root your tablet in order to change the gui that much. If you wanted a Windows tablet, why didn't you buy one? Acer & hp both make W7 tablets.

If you only want to make superficial changes in appearance, a home replacement with a theme will probably work.

Calibre

Dec 18, 2011
Where could I find a theme like that, thats all im really looking for. I like the tablet I got, and that its on the android market. Just want it to look like w 7

Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Look on Android Market or Amazon Appstore. Search for home replacement. Choose one. Then, look for themes compatible with it.

cpt_noob

Dec 15, 2011
I have a Toshiba Thrive 10" with Honeycomb 3.2 and I was trying to find out if there will be a way to upgrade the operating system to 4.0. I know there are a couple of companies offering to upgrade phones but I wanted to know if this will be an option offered to everyone. One of the things that usually make PCs and MACs desirable is the ability to upgrade operating systems. Will this ever be an option with Android where I will just be able to purchase the next version of the Operating System and upgrade my tablet or phone?

CyanogenMod's CM9 is their build of ICS, but i'm gonna wait until the bugs are worked out.

also, there may be mods on the 3.2 build you're running that are specific for your tablet. and if you change the OS, you wouldnt have them anymore. So i'd make a backup first. especially since the ICS build pretty experimental at this point.

applejay

Dec 27, 2011
i believe the OS which most suit your tablet is not the most advanced, anyone knows my meaning....