If I buy a Android 2.2 tablet now can I upgrade to Honeycomb when it's released? [UK]

gerrelli

Mar 3, 2011
Hi All,

Just joined the forums, already have a HTC Desire with A2.2 and want to buy a tablet to use in meetings and stuff. I want to buy Honeycomb but the UK market is not set to receive these until potentially April and I want one now! ;) So my question is can I upgrade to Honeycomb easily on release and if so are there any hardware considerations I should take into account? I know this is the place where the Android experts hang out so please do help me, thanks all!

Gerrelli

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
it is going to rely totally on the tablet you buy, and even then you may have issues. Read through the links in my signatures (Questions) and look at the major chipsets, you will want to make sure you are getting one that is mainstream. If you are looking for Honeycomb to be fully released, and not a hack, then you should only look at the MAJOR tablets (Xoom, Samsung, etc), otherwise make sure that what you pick is well supported. Tablets with a Tegra2 processor are also probably safe, but there simply are no guarantees.

gerrelli

Mar 3, 2011
Thanks Peter, I'll heed your advice and focus on the mainstream products, I'd rather avoid hacks, I've had colleagues who have done this and come unstuck. I'll review the ones you have suggested and also ask the reseller to provide assurances otherwise a money back or exchange.

Thanks again.
Gerrelli

ggdeepak6

May 6, 2011
The main difference between Froyo and Honeycomb is that Froyo is a mobile operating system that supports both tablets and phones while Honeycomb is entirely developed for large screens such as tablets. We can say Android 2.2 to 2.3 was an upgrade whereas 2.2 to 3.0 (Honeycomb) is a total revamp.

Jan 16, 2012
i found out if you want to upgrade because your computer dosnt reconize your tablet u can simply put your sd card in your computer and put stuff on it if you dont have a slot get a adapter i dont think u can put apps on it though