Can you help me decide?

prosan98

Jun 13, 2012
I have been researching tablets for what feels like forever (I've had an Android phone for several years, so I'm not new to Android). I thought I had it narrowed down to the Asus Transformer TF300 or the Acer Iconia a500 (best price I can find right now is about $385-$399). But then I saw a deal for the new Lenovo IdeaTab S2109 for $311 (through today only). From everything I've read, it seems comparable, but as it's really new, I can't find any actual user reviews. It's 8GB, so I would figure an additional ~$25 to get a 32GB micro SD card. So still, looking at <$340 compared to $385. We want to buy 2, maybe 3 of these, so that could add up quickly. The IdeaTab also ships with stock ICS, which is quite appealing, given the many reviews I've read about problems with updates to ICS (and given the hellish experience I've had with HTC Sense and the Gingerbread update on my phone!).

A few other questions- with the Asus, do you have to buy their docking station or can you use a generic blue tooth or USB keyboard?

Does anyone know of better deals on either of those?

Or does anyone have a totally different recommendation?

What's the consensus on refurbished tablets? There are some pretty good deals on the Asus and Acer.

Important features to me are at least 1GB ram, at least dual core processor, USB compatibility, front camera, micro SD slot, ICS (or at least updatable to ICS). GPS nice.

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer!

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I may be a tad partial but the TF300T is a lot for the money and can be had for $379. It has a quad core processor. No USB on the tablet but the full size USB and full size SD Card on the dock + the additional 6 hours or so of run time makes it hard to beat if you decide to get the dock. I own a TF201 and only use the dock 10%-20% of the time but when I need it I'd pay good money to be able to get it if I didn't already own it.

Androidinabox

Mar 15, 2012
I have been researching tablets for what feels like forever (I've had an Android phone for several years, so I'm not new to Android). I thought I had it narrowed down to the Asus Transformer TF300 or the Acer Iconia a500 (best price I can find right now is about $385-$399). But then I saw a deal for the new Lenovo IdeaTab S2109 for $311 (through today only). From everything I've read, it seems comparable, but as it's really new, I can't find any actual user reviews. It's 8GB, so I would figure an additional ~$25 to get a 32GB micro SD card. So still, looking at <$340 compared to $385. We want to buy 2, maybe 3 of these, so that could add up quickly. The IdeaTab also ships with stock ICS, which is quite appealing, given the many reviews I've read about problems with updates to ICS (and given the hellish experience I've had with HTC Sense and the Gingerbread update on my phone!).

A few other questions- with the Asus, do you have to buy their docking station or can you use a generic blue tooth or USB keyboard?

Does anyone know of better deals on either of those?

Or does anyone have a totally different recommendation?

What's the consensus on refurbished tablets? There are some pretty good deals on the Asus and Acer.

Important features to me are at least 1GB ram, at least dual core processor, USB compatibility, front camera, micro SD slot, ICS (or at least updatable to ICS). GPS nice.

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer!

You should have a look at coming Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II: 1GB RAM, Amlogic AML8726-M6 dual core CPU, USB compatibility, front 2M pixel webcam, micro SD card slot up to 32GB, Android 4.0 ICS OS.