Can you install non-market place apps.

squick

May 16, 2011
Is it possible to install apps without using the marketplace? If so how, and how do you get the apps?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

beastman

May 8, 2011
Any place you trust. Just have to enable unknown sources. XDA, sdcard sites, etc.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Is it possible to install apps without using the marketplace? If so how, and how do you get the apps?

I got my Swiftkey keyboard (closed beta) direct from Swiftkey. I have one other beta app that I am testing, but can't say what it is.
In both cases, I was given a link in an email, tapped that link and it downloaded directly to my downloads. Using the built in My Downloads
app I just tapped the download and it asked if I wanted to install. (I already had the setting for Unknown sources checked).

Most of the apps you will want will come from the Market, and you would be silly to download from anywhere else unless
you know exactly what you are getting. Remember, dodgy Chinese servers are the source of most malware. That ripped off
version of some market app isn't worth having your tablet strip mined.

LakeHam

Jul 3, 2011
Go to settings and allow non-marketplace apps then email the apk file to yourself. You can install from the attachment.:cool: