Can't read kindle format book (mobi)

dond

Mar 5, 2012
I downloaded a mobi format book using my galxy 7 plus. When I click on the "downloaded" file it says I can't open it. The galaxy has the installed Kindle Bookstore ap so I assumed I could read mobi books. Do I need to install another reader? If so, which one is recommended. I also downloaded the same book in epub format and when I clicked on the "downloaded" file the book went to my ebook file and I could read it. Do I have to download only from amazon using the kindle ap to read mobi formatted books with the original tablet setup? I want to download this particular book in all formats possible because it is one that I wrote and I want to view it in all formats on my tablet........thanks!

dond

Mar 5, 2012
I talked to samsung and they told me that if I do not download a book using the kindle ap I will not be able to read it with the kindle ap. That figures! I guess kindle wants to force a user to purchase from Amazon. If anyone knows differen't please let me know.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Your best bet is to use an alternative reader like FB Reader, which will read both .mobi and .epub and is free. Simply create a folder called books in the root folder of your internal SD card and drop the files in there.

dond

Mar 5, 2012
Tom T......I am a complete novice to Android or any tablet for that matter. If I download FB Reader does it automatically show up in the Apps menue? I currently have no idea how to creat "a folder called books in my root folder on the internal SD card". I did download an epub book and found it when I clicked the "downloaded button".When I clicked on it,it automatically went into an ebook folder and when I clicked on it in the ebook folder I could read the book.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
dond said:
Tom T......I am a complete novice to Android or any tablet for that matter. If I download FB Reader does it automatically show up in the Apps menue? I currently have no idea how to creat "a folder called books in my root folder on the internal SD card". I did download an epub book and found it when I clicked the "downloaded button".When I clicked on it,it automatically went into an ebook folder and when I clicked on it in the ebook folder I could read the book.

I don't want to further confuse you, but when you say you could read the book what app did it open that allowed you to read it? I just ask because I'm not sure if you have already downloaded FB Reader.
FB Reader will appear in the app drawer after install. Once you open the app it has a bookshelf, or library, of sorts and will show you all books in /sdcard/books . If you navigate with a file explorer to an epub or mobi and select it FB Reader will likely open the file automatically, or allow you to pick an app to open the file. Once opened on FB Reader the app will remember where the file is at and add a link to your library.
If you get a file explorer, I always suggest ES File Explorer because it is free and powerful, you will probably find the file structure isn't much different than what you are used to with a PC. Although FB Reader will read ebook data from wherever it sits in the file hierarchy it is nice to have all your books in a single folder.
I hope this helps rather than further confusing the issue :)

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Can't you just download the Kindle reader app from the market like I did for reading my Kindle books.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk