Can't reboot correctly, Have to boot with vol - button held too.

JimReid

Mar 1, 2012
Don't know if anyone else has hit this issue or not. The following is my machine:

Asus SL101 eee Pad Slider
Android version 3.2.1
GPS Version V5.5.8
Wi-Fi version V5.2.65
Bluetooth version V6.24
Kernel version 2.6.36.3-00010g9a21fct
android@mercury #1
Build Number HTK75.US.epad-8.6.5.21-20111216
MobileDock version SL101-0202

I downloaded ICE 4.0 and attempted to put in on my SL101. They didn't have a release for the SL101 so I tried the TF101 download. It didn't work. Don't know why. I did a recovery and now my problem:

Everytime I reboot it reboots into clockworkmod to do a restore again (or backup or whatever). It won't reboot into the android mode unless I hold down the vol - key on the reboot. That is where it gives you the option of reboot to android or wiping you system.

Anyone have any idea how to get it back to the normal boot where I just turn it on and it boots to android?

Or better yet anyone successfully got the ICS 4.0 to install on a SL101?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim :confused:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I am just hypothesizing but bet there is a bit flipped on the TF101 FW update attempt which never got flipped back. I assume you have applied the Factory 3.2.1 FW and still in this boot up scenario. This is at core Boot OS elements and out of my experience level. When I was using Archos and saw a similar scenario, the only fix was a Format and reinstall of the FW. No other fix attempt would work.

JimReid

Mar 1, 2012
I'm having trouble even replying. I have tried everything but 'FW' don't know what that stands for. I also have not formated my sdcard. I have wiped all my sdcard (data, apps, etc) but not formated. I have backups but not sure where they are stored so didn't want to wipe them out too.

I have a 32gb SL101 with a 32gb external sdcard also.

Any help or ideas will be appreciated and tried.

Thanks,

Jim R

JimReid

Mar 1, 2012
One other thing. When I do a complete wipe and reload from a backup (any backup I have 3) I get the message:

.android_security_img not found skipping restore of /sdcard/.android.secure.

Don't know if this is part of my problem with booting the system or not but it is the only thing that is out of the ordinary.

Jim R

Scraps

Feb 20, 2012
Jim, did you ever manage to get your issues with rooting and installing ICS fixed? I have a 16g Slider and I was going to root it until I saw all of the problems you have been having. I am a total Android (and therefore rooting) noob so seeing your problems makes me nervous. I mainly wanted to root so I could uninstall all the crap that Asus has on it that I don't use, but it won't let me delete. (Netflix, etc...) Would you suggest holding off on rooting a Slider? Or would you do it again if you could?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lisa

NetScr1be

Jun 26, 2012
Jim, did you ever manage to get your issues with rooting and installing ICS fixed? I have a 16g Slider and I was going to root it until I saw all of the problems you have been having. I am a total Android (and therefore rooting) noob so seeing your problems makes me nervous. I mainly wanted to root so I could uninstall all the crap that Asus has on it that I don't use, but it won't let me delete. (Netflix, etc...) Would you suggest holding off on rooting a Slider? Or would you do it again if you could?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I have the same problem as Jim so I can stand in for him I guess. :)

I would not root until I got it upgraded to ICS.

There are a couple of good methods over on XDA notably ViperMod Prime.

Enjoy,

tjareson

Aug 2, 2012
Hello,
if you are looping into clockworkmod again and again, you should probably try this.
But you need the apps superuser and a terminal for that. (should be both in store for free)

Then start terminal on your tablet / phone and

Type : su (give permission if ask, choose YES). You should get a #
Type : echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0
Type : reboot

After this my SL101 booted without clockworkmod showing up.
(More about this I found here: [RECOVERY]Clockwork Touch Recovery 5.8.2.1 by JvS CoRp V5 TF101\G - Page 2 - xda-developers )

regards Tjareson