Car Holder

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Why don't you try to "Velcro" your tab to the car, and tell us how it works out.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I was able to stop by the BestBuy today, and I asked the guy selling the tabs if there was a car mount for the S7, and he says NO, and I should go to the GPS section to ask the guy there. So I asked the sales guy in the GPS section if he has a holder for a tablet PC, and hells me all he has is stuff for Garmin GPS units!

Then I went back to the guy selling tablets & phones to tell him what I think of their service. All they actually did have at the Best Buy near me is the Zagg invisible sheild. They don't even have car mounts for the phones they sell.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I think the GripIt would be better than Velcro, even with the flimsy swivel arm it has. The swivel arm is so thin, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole holder part broke off and fell to the floor.

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
After a lot of thought and trying out some solutions, I've come to the conclusion that what's out there won't work well.

So my plan is to make a beanbag with a depression the S7 fits into and some elastic bands to secure it in place. The bottom will be a rubberized material with straps which attach to the defroster vent and I'll just plop it on my dashboard.

This way I can put the S7 in it without taking it out of a carry case, I can adjust view with one hand, and I can put it in and take it out with no problems.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
there ought to be (as I usually say) a better, easier solution, if you think about it enough:

1- A base that has a slot that the device will into
2- Has an inclined backrest, and a safety clip at the top (OK for landscape, but what if you wanted to go to portrait?)
3- Mounts to the shelf in a way that doesn't require adhesive or screws

If you had customizing shop modify the dash (with the mount and recovering it) it would be great, but who's got the money to do that? Super-magnets could hold almost any mount, but I'm not keen on having super-magnets near electronic stuff or LCD screens, and Velcro would work to keep beanbag in place, but you would see the bag or the Velcro when the device isn't in use.

Personally, for my one car, the proclip bracket seems the best siolution for the bracket. Proclip has a turn/swivel mount, but I'm skeptical about how well it will work over time because I figure it will get loose, and the kicker is that Proclip doesn't have a holder for the S7 itself (yet.)

It seems that if you want mounts and accessories, you'll need a iPad...

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
there ought to be (as I usually say) a better, easier solution, if you think about it enough:

1- A base that has a slot that the device will into
2- Has an inclined backrest, and a safety clip at the top (OK for landscape, but what if you wanted to go to portrait?)
3- Mounts to the shelf in a way that doesn't require adhesive or screws

That's essentially what I was speaking of, in beanbag form. Material is easy to work with, cheap, and the filling is also extremely cheap and easy to work with. Secure it with a couple of straps to the vent for my defroster, and sew on a non-slip base fabric on the bottom and where the S7 goes and it should be quite secure.

Frankly, after having a suction cup style holder fall off the windshield one time, I just don't trust those. I only have one cup holder, and since I do home visits for my career I like to have that free for my coffee. The vent mounts look pretty good, but I worry that with every bump the S7 is going to flop up and bang back down, eventually cracking off the vent fins.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I have the same concerns about suction cups and vent-mounts. Once a suction cup let go, and my Palm's screen hit the shifter and it never worked so good after. Suction cups need perfectly clean, warm, dry windows. Even my 4-inch suction cup for dent-pulling didn't work on a cold window.

For an Ipod or a small phone, the vent mount seems fine, but the vent slats don't seem as robust as you think they ought to be for a device that weighs over a pound and is physically large, like the S7.

I'm sure that beanbags work fine per the designer's specs or if you drive in straight lines on smooth roads (which sounds like Florida) but were I live, you need something that is durable and fail-SAFE, even "dummy-proof," per se.

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
It lookslike a GrtipIt with a long gooseneck. Does it really hold the S7? It's great for landscape, but the S7 slip down in big bumps.

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
It has been a while since this was 'topped', and I'm looking for a windshield mount for my Nexus 7. The plan would be to let the base rest on the dash thereby reducing the weight on the suction cup device. Has anyone found anything new and reliable that you would care to offer an opinion or use results?

I'm not worried about visibility being blocked. I'm 6'3" and sit up pretty high in my seat. I doubt anything would block my view if sitting on the dash board.

Thanks in advance. :D

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
Buehler? ... Buehler? ... Anyone have any thoughts about windshield mounts for 7 inch tablets?