Changing File Associations

elister

Jan 1, 2011
I actually have something called a JPad, lol!

http://www.mydigitallive.com/10-inch-google-android-21-gps-mid-tablet-pc-w-camera-p-105.html

But I paid 200$ 3 weeks ago. Boy am I learning alot about android tablets since buying this thing.

So got a 8gb sd card inside, plan on adding a 16gb card any day now. In the meantime I am using a 16gb USB flash drive to play back video files. Using the OI File Manager to access the USB drive, which lists it as the E:\ drive. Wanted to see how other video players work as the default (while nice) has some issues with MKV/H264/720p files, but they cannot directly access the USB/E drive. OI File Manager appears to be the only thing that can access the USB/E drive and every time I click on a video file, it loads the default video player.

After an hour long search. I have tried (and failed) the following methods to change the file associations.

1) Settings/Applications/Manage .. Click on program, set file permissions?? Nothing there.

2) Download Astro File Manager. Settings/Edit File Extensions .... and nothing. Change an icon, fail.

3) Load video player, settings, set defaults there.. Wha?

Most of the information ive been reading is kinda funny, because its either years old or this version of Android 2.1 (rom build deb-r2.1.1170) installed on my tablet sucks so bad, any 'help me' or 'how to' guides are rendered useless.

I cant wait until a stock version of Android 2.1 or 2.2 is available for this tablet. If anything, but to be able to follow simple online guides. Im stuck using stock programs when using my USB drive.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Android uses "default" settings to determine which application to use for a file or operation. When you download an app that can use files of the same type (or perform the same system operation) as one already installed you will typically be asked which app to use and have an checkbox in the dialog to set whatever you choose as the new default app.

To change a default:
Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

Then go to the specific app you no longer want to be opening the file or performing the operation and click on it. Takes you to a sub-setting where there is a "clear defaults" button (if there is more than one app installed that could handle the task). The next time you want to perform the operation/open a file of that type it should ask you which app to use - check the box to set it as the new default.

elister

Jan 1, 2011
To change a default:
Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

Then go to the specific app you no longer want to be opening the file or performing the operation and click on it. Takes you to a sub-setting where there is a "clear defaults" button (if there is more than one app installed that could handle the task).

I have multiple video players installed, that defaults field you speak of, is grayed out, cant click on it. Im really screwed with this build of Android infotmic installed.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
To be clear, the "Clear Defaults" button will be grayed out for the alternative apps so long as ONE of them is currently set as the default (or if it is the only app installed for that file type or task). You have to go to the one that is currently the default and "clear" it. Then try to open one of the video files, it should pop up a dialog asking you which of the video apps you have installed it should use. There is a checkbox at the bottom of that dialog you can optionally select to make whatever app you choose become the "default." Or you can not set a default at all and it will ask you which app to use each time you want to open a video file. If this doesn't work on your tablet then the manufacturer must have hobbled your Android install for some stupid reason.

elister

Jan 1, 2011
When I first got the tablet, I decided to check what apps were pre-installed. Went into the settings, applications, manage apps, etc. There was nothing listed, just a blank black screen. Of course, once I started installing things, were apps listed in that section, but still the original apps were not found.

So I install all these video apps, I got into each listing and find the Clear Defaults setting always greyed out. Those pop up dialogs boxes (Which I get on my Android 1.6 phone) never pop up giving me these options to change the associations.

Im basically scewed until a stock Android 2.1 or 2.2 is available for my device. Comparing the settings on my Android 1.6 phone (and even my sisters Droid 2 with ver 2.2) vs this 2.1 tablet, there is much that is missing from the menus.

Last edited:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
When you go to Settings>Manage Applications press the "Menu" button. It will show a "Filter" option where you can tell it to show you ALL the apps installed.

elister

Jan 1, 2011
Ok, found the filter, sorted by all and now I see ALOT more icons. But still dont see the program that is loading by default when I click on video files in the OI File Manager. The video player that launches has nothing on it that identifies the name of the player, there are literally no letters or characters. The video program kinda reminds me of RockPlayer, but the Menu button does nothing and I cant browse to other files. Even though this looks like RockPlayer app, if I un-install it, same default app still loads up. Ive gone through everything I thought was that program in the Applications manager, cleared the data, which reset the default. But when loading up RockPlayer, I dont get a file association pop up screen.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
You don't get a file association pop-up when you launch the app. You get a file association pop-up when you open a file that could possibly be opened by more than one app on the device or when you want to perform a task (such as return to the home screen or input text) for which there is more than one app installed (for example if I clear defaults and return to my Home screen it would ask me if I want to use the default Launcher, Launcher Pro, or Zeam or if you install alternative keyboards and need to input text it will ask you which keyboard app to use).

Music.apk is the stock Android 2.1 audio and video player (yes, just to confuse you it is called "Music" but also plays videos). Here is a good list of the stock apps with Android 2.1, what they do, and whether it is safe to remove them or not: Stock Android 2.1 Apps List | Market 4 Android

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Looks like the Music.apk app (stock media player). Incidentally when you open a video file it would be listed as an app named "Movies" in that dialog box (the one you say you have yet to see). There is also an app in Market called "ClearDefault" that will reset all defaults.

Last edited:

elister

Jan 1, 2011
Ok, reset data on the music app. Loaded up Rock Player, still doesnt offer me a pop up for program defaults. Installed the ClearDefault app, ran it, still nothing. Seriously, I think im screwed until a stock version of Android 2.1 or 2.2 is released for this tablet.

elister

Jan 1, 2011
From within Rock Player and some other video apps, I managed to find a way to navigate through root access to the 2nd MicroSD card I have, which stores all my video files. It turns out that while all of them dont have a problem playing back MKV/720p files, they just cant skip to a segment, fast forward or return to a previous playback. Just play, pause and stop.