Cheap Tablet for my Kids

itsMEnara

Nov 22, 2011
hey all, after searching the vast internet I've come to you guys for help. I'm hoping your knowledge and experience can either help me or direct me to the info i seek.

I'm looking into getting a tablet, well 2 actually, for my kids. I'm eyeing some from Velocity, PanDigital, and Colby in the <$150 range. Really, I'm just looking for an alternative to the portable DVD players for my kids. I've had 3 of these units before and I hate them. They are big, bulky, noisy, and all those wires...uhhhhhgggg.

Researching these tablets has been pretty crazy. Lots of caveats with them, but it seems that I dont care too much about some of their faults or limits. I dont care much about wifi(whether it goes in and out), internet/email browsing speed, flash, which ebooks they can read; All i really care about is, can it play movies reliably and have ok battery life(4-5 hrs)?

Idk if the resistive vs capacitive screen or ARM CPU are necessities for what my purposes are. If it can play only mp4s, thats fine. I will be ripping DVD's and encoding them to whichever format I need. I will get a 32gb sd card so it can store more movies, but it seems all the tablets have this an SD card slot.

Obviously I'm looking at these cheap tablets because they'd be for my kids, and I'd probably spend the same amount on a decent DVD player. Being able to DL apps would be a bonus, but again its lower on the totem pole. If there is a way to DL apps to the sd card and install them to the tablet great. It might be nice to let them doodle in paint or play a game instead of watch a movie. Again, my main focus is to put movies/tv shows onto the sd card and have them watch movies on them.

Can you guys offer any help, maybe based on personal experience with any of these tablets? Thx in advance.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
hey all, after searching the vast internet I've come to you guys for help. I'm hoping your knowledge and experience can either help me or direct me to the info i seek.

I'm looking into getting a tablet, well 2 actually, for my kids. I'm eyeing some from Velocity, PanDigital, and Colby in the <$150 range. Really, I'm just looking for an alternative to the portable DVD players for my kids. I've had 3 of these units before and I hate them. They are big, bulky, noisy, and all those wires...uhhhhhgggg.

Researching these tablets has been pretty crazy. Lots of caveats with them, but it seems that I dont care too much about some of their faults or limits. I dont care much about wifi(whether it goes in and out), internet/email browsing speed, flash, which ebooks they can read; All i really care about is, can it play movies reliably and have ok battery life(4-5 hrs)?

Idk if the resistive vs capacitive screen or ARM CPU are necessities for what my purposes are. If it can play only mp4s, thats fine. I will be ripping DVD's and encoding them to whichever format I need. I will get a 32gb sd card so it can store more movies, but it seems all the tablets have this an SD card slot.

Obviously I'm looking at these cheap tablets because they'd be for my kids, and I'd probably spend the same amount on a decent DVD player. Being able to DL apps would be a bonus, but again its lower on the totem pole. If there is a way to DL apps to the sd card and install them to the tablet great. It might be nice to let them doodle in paint or play a game instead of watch a movie. Again, my main focus is to put movies/tv shows onto the sd card and have them watch movies on them.

Can you guys offer any help, maybe based on personal experience with any of these tablets? Thx in advance.
Hi, how do you think about this C71 for $158 with shipping in our site:7 Inch Capacitive Screen Android 2.3OS Tablet PC with Amlogic Cortex A9 Processor - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
hope you can find what you want, good luck!:)

Attanai

Dec 1, 2011
The company I work for just started carrying tablets. We're getting them from the manufacurer in China and branding them, but we're having issues with some features of the Android Market. The website is kidcomputers.com. On the link for the Android Tablet, it shows as out of stock, because we're still trying to figure out how to get the Market working, but there's plenty of pre-installed apps. If you would like one as-is, I can probably get you a deal.

Also, I recommend resistive for younger kids. It's a little harder to press the buttons, but it works better with stylus, in art and writing programs, and the kids can use it if their hands are sicky are wet, which they can't with capacitive. Our tablet runs wifi great (better than my phone), and so far, in testing, has suited our needs fairly well, except for the market problem. We also include an app to keep kids out of the filesystem and safe on the internet. Our tablets are designed to just let the kids play without having to worry about if they're going to mess up the device, though you can turn the program off with a password, and it becomes a regular tablet.

vixe

Nov 15, 2011
Currently, the best tablet would be Xoom, IMO. Well, for kids, a regular tablet would be OK. Play some games like Angry Birds and do some drawing stuffs to have fun would be good enough for kids.

shindaren

Feb 1, 2012
Hi, how do you think about this C71 for $158 with shipping in our site:7 Inch Capacitive Screen Android 2.3OS Tablet PC with Amlogic Cortex A9 Processor - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
hope you can find what you want, good luck
mimil.png
!

I'm actually wondering the same thing! I'm tried of my kid using my ipad... there are a lot of things I dont want them getting into like youtube that the ipad cant restrict! are there any other options?

TyCo

Mar 22, 2012
I'm actually wondering the same thing! I'm tried of my kid using my ipad... there are a lot of things I dont want them getting into like youtube that the ipad cant restrict! are there any other options?

Here's the same tablet as the Chinese one above. But you can get it from Amazon and shipped free. Amazon.com: 7" A10 CPU Cortex A8 1GHz Android 2.3 Ultrathin 5-point Multi-touch Capacitive Tablet PC WiFi: Computers & Accessories

It's a great tablet for kids (and adults too). You can't beat the price.

Dreamboxuser

Jul 3, 2012
Whatever you do DO NOT buy a Vinci tablet..... Stupidly overpriced for a tablet... that being said the device is pretty solid however the "developer" who "adapted" gingerbread to it missed a few things (like the gyro and the cell component). Software updates are from what it seems not going to happen as they have basically pulled the first generation from sales and refuse to release any of the technical specs. The content is great but i had to factory reset the device when i got it because everything was force closing out of the box. Once i wiped it most of the problems were gone.. like all the apps and the ui. I did back everything up but it really kinda irritated me when i spoke to tech support and they said that i shouldn't have factory reset it then i said WTF your UI was force closing every 2 seconds I had to.

So all in all decent hardware but not worth it when you can get 2 tablets for the same price. Tech support is really sales support. Content is pretty good and entertaining.

Sent from my TF101 using Tapatalk 2