Chrome OS Used Primarily On Tablets Says Google CEO

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt, said that the new Chrome operating system will be initially targeting a new generation of tablet computers to be released towards the end of the year.
Talking at IFA, in Germany, Schmidt confirmed that Chrome OS would be gradually taking over Android OS which is being extensively used in tablet devices such as the Toshiba Folio 100 or the Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Schmidt added that Chrome OS will be "targeted at the netbook space, but because it's free and open source, people will also use it for tablets, But it's too early to say exactly how it will play out and we're looking forward to the partnership announcement's later this year."

It is likely that Android and Chrome OS will merge at some point in the (near) future as it would allow Google to focus on one product rather than divide the market even more.
Google has already has a fragmentation problem with Android which means that new features cannot be readily rolled out across smartphones supporting the OS.
It also puts a question mark on the future of the Open Handset Alliance and Android; bringing another OS in the foray will cause confusion in the marketplace amongst the manufacturers and consumers.

Source IT Pro Portal 08 September, 2010

Last edited:

Jon82

Jan 18, 2017
I'm not up on everything in the tablet world, but just this morning I read a news blurb about Chrome OS coming to android tablets. So me, thinking this was new news, I came here and searched for Chrome OS to see if there was anything about this "new" development.

Well, here I am.. in a thread from 2010 about the same "new" news. I guess they're taking their time with this one

I'm only curious because of my Nextbook tablet. I think this is a Google tablet. It's preloaded with everything Google but has Marshmallow 6 OS - not Chrome OS.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Google's plans have changed significantly since the initial post in this thread. Chrome OS is getting support for the Google Play Store and apps. It's not replacing Android on tablets.

If looking for an experience similar to Chrome OS on a tablet, install Remix. Assuming of course your tablet is supported.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I think this is a Google tablet. It's preloaded with everything Google but has Marshmallow 6 OS - not Chrome OS.

Nextbook tablets are manufactured by E-Fun, a consumer electronics company headquartered in West Covina, California,

The forum for them is located here: E Fun Tablets