Clockworkmod for MID9742

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I noticed that there are recovery images for the 7042 and 8042 containing CWM. Is there a hardware or software reason why the 9742 doesn't have a CWM recovery?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I guess for the time being I go without, because I won't have time until the week after next to even contemplate trying to build a custom recovery. However, you can answer one question for me: what version of Clockworkmod did you use in the other two units?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I will give that a try and let you know how it works out. I appreciate your help.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have uploaded a version for you to test includes stock recovery if cwm doesn't work you can flash back to stock recovery.

9742_root_recovery.zip

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-cwm-recovery.sh

# Note If cwn don't work you can reinstall stock recovery using below command
# chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-stock-recovery.sh

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

/data/local/tmp/install-cwm-recovery.sh

# Note If cwn don't work you can reinstall stock recovery using below command
# /data/local/tmp/install-stock-recovery.sh

reboot-recovery

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I personally don't have to run the root commands as my root is permanent. I understand however that others aren't that fortunate. However, for clarity's sake, this is all done through the ADB?

EDIT: I answered my own question about ADB. Silly me. :)

The reboot-recovery command for some reason didn't work. However, I was able to get into clockworkmod using the two-finger salute. The one thing I did notice is that the clockworkmod screen is upside down compared to the stock recovery. My Dell Streak, when I tried running clockworkmod on it would rotate the screen 270 degrees from normal. So, Coby likely put the screen in upside down and used software to rotate it.

However, other than that issue, CWM is working fine on the 9742. In fact, it just finished generating a nandroid backup. So now I can really do work on this device to make it better.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Good glad cwm works, I thought it would just going off of your dump. If the screen is installed upside down then yes CWM will be upside down, will still work as it should, Anyway thanks for testing and confirming it works.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No problem. Having CWM makes it so much easier to get the Google apps on the tablet.

druxx

Jun 20, 2012
No problem. Having CWM makes it so much easier to get the Google apps on the tablet.

Hi there,

thanks a lot, got CWM installed on my 9742. Same problem here, screen is upside down, but booting into recovery mode from adb worked.
My device is rooted now, backups are made, but stupid question of a newbie: how does CWM help me to get Google apps running?

druxx

Jun 20, 2012
You use CWM to install the Google Apps. Step by step instructions are here. The apps package I used was gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, found at Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps .

thanks, traveller1701, worked fine. But after having installed a dozen apps from google apps I ran into the next problem. This gets a little bit off-topic here, but maybe you have already solved this problem:
I'm not able to install google maps or chrome beta since the mid9742 is not in google's list of supported devices. According to the hints I've found on the web one only has to change
ro.product.model
ro.product.manufacturer
in /system/build.prop
I've done so, setting manufacturer to samsung and model to GT-P7500. I've cleared data and cache of Google Play Store and rebooted but I could convince the google play to re-read build.prop, I'm still getting the old device info when trying to download chrome beta.

Any idea what else has to be cleared or what to do to go to another device id?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Setting the things you did changes nothing. The fingerprint has to be changed. I set my fingerprint in build.prop to a Dell Streak 7 and have had no issues with maps. Google Earth is a different story, likely because of the lack of GPS chip, GPU, or both. I can't comment on Chrome as I use Opera Mobile.

ro.build.fingerprint=dell/dell_streak/streak:4.0.4/IMM76/eng.den.20120603.153428:eng/test-keys

EDIT: I spoke way too soon. My edit of build.prop didn't work. Yours should, if the video I just watched on YouTube (see below) was any indication. I personally will get the model number of the galaxy tab 7 or 10.1 and edit mine to see if that works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
On the Play Store Maps complains that it's not compatible with the 9742, but that is because the Coby tablets are not Google authorized devices. The only effective solution I've found is to keep your changes in build.prop and use a modded verison of the Play Store app to remove the restrictions.

Check out this thread: Modded Google Play Store at XDA-Developers. Download the file labeled "Vending.3.5.19.noupdate.norestrictions.nosig-aligned.apk".

Last edited: