ClockWorkMod: running from SD card or from ROM?

mrfeh

Mar 14, 2011
Hi folks.

I've installed 4 or 5 different ROMs thus far on my nook, and each time I used a bootable SD card which runs ClockWorkMod. I then install a ROM zip that I had copied to the card from my PC.

I only own one SD card, and since it's bootable, I don't believe I can use it for external storage (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm running phiremod 5.2, and noticed that CWM is an app in the ROM. Theoretically, you can install a new ROM while running your current ROM. However, this assumes that the SD card is mountable/accessible, and given that mine is bootable, I don't thinnk it is.

I'd love to use my single SD card for both external storage and for installing ROMs. Can I do this if I run CWM from within phiremod? I don't know if it makes any difference, but the CWM on my SD card is 3.0.1.0 and the CWM on phiremod is 3.0.0.7.

Thanks!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
CWM rom manager and CWM recovery are two different programs. The rom manager can control certain features of the installed CWM recovery. The rom manager give you the ability to flash a rom from the app but I've found using this feature can cause problems since in many cases, a rom will require either a cache wipe or data wipe. The rom manager lacks many important features and I mainly use it to install the CMW recovery itself and for booting into the recovery from the rom.

You can install CWM recovery internally then you won't need to use the bootable sd card version when you need to use CWM recovery. I prefer flashing CMWR internally and find it easier to work with.

mrfeh

Mar 14, 2011
CWM rom manager and CWM recovery are two different programs. The rom manager can control certain features of the installed CWM recovery. The rom manager give you the ability to flash a rom from the app but I've found using this feature can cause problems since in many cases, a rom will require either a cache wipe or data wipe. The rom manager lacks many important features and I mainly use it to install the CMW recovery itself and for booting into the recovery from the rom.

You can install CWM recovery internally then you won't need to use the bootable sd card version when you need to use CWM recovery. I prefer flashing CMWR internally and find it easier to work with.
Ahh...thanks for the clarification! Will I have any problems due to the fact that the CWM on m SD card is 3.0.1.0 and the CWM in phiremod is 3.0.0.7?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Ahh...thanks for the clarification! Will I have any problems due to the fact that the CWM on m SD card is 3.0.1.0 and the CWM in phiremod is 3.0.0.7?

If I'm not mistaken, CWM recovery 3.0.1 contains both versions 3.0.0.5 (ext.3 for android 2.1, 2.2 roms) and version 3.0.0.6 & 3.0.0.7 (ext.4 for android 2.3 & 3.0 roms internally). I believe When you use 3.0.1 SD version, the appropriate CWM recovery version will be applied. So you shouldn't have a issue if you are using 3.0.1 either internally or from sd card.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, CWM recovery 3.0.1 contains both versions 3.0.0.5 (ext.3 for android 2.1, 2.2 roms) and version 3.0.0.6 & 3.0.0.7 (ext.4 for android 2.3 & 3.0 roms internally). I believe When you use 3.0.1 SD version, the appropriate CWM recovery version will be applied. So you shouldn't have a issue if you are using 3.0.1 either internally or from sd card.

That is essentially what I have experience in practice. Using the same CWR installation (v3.0.1.0) I was able o flash, backup, restore, and reflash every type of ROM without changing my CWR installation.