CM10 for Coby 8042

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Where is the error? I need to see what you are typing and see the error. So copy and paste everything from terminal.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
Where is the error? I need to see what you are typing and see the error. So copy and paste everything from terminal.

Ok, here is the terminal with the error. This is all being done while in CM Recovery Mode.

Code:
~ # mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 on /system failed: Invalid argument
~ #

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok, here is the terminal with the error. This is all being done while in CM Recovery Mode.

Code:
~ # mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 on /system failed: Invalid argument
~ #
It would be appear the partition isn't formatted as ext4 try to mount other partition.

cps0824

Oct 25, 2012
I am completely lost .. What size should the ext partitions be as well as what should i label them? Are there any simplified instruction after i get past that point... also it says i need to be rooted..i have no clue on that..pleas help me thank you

cps0824

Oct 25, 2012
I am completely lost .. What size should the ext partitions be as well as what should i label them? Are there any simplified instruction after i get past that point... also it says i need to be rooted..i have no clue on that..please help me thank you

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
It would be appear the partition isn't formatted as ext4 try to mount other partition.

I'm positive they're formatted as ext4. They are not listed first on the SD card though, so that might have something to do with it. I know you don't use windows, so I had to format the SD card so that the FAT32 was listed first. When formatting using the tool that you linked to, it informed me that windows would only be able to read the first partition on the SD card. I would think that could be the problem, but I would have no clue what to do about it.

Edit: Ok, reformatted the card with the two ext4 partitions listed first. This does inhibit me from accessing the SD Cards FAT32 from windows directly. It also did not change the results of trying to mount /system and /data. Could this be a problem with adb?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I really don't know then, invalid argument means incorrect parameters, eg you typed commands wrong or partition isn't ext4.
Copy and paste the commands I posted in your terminal rather than typing them, also try to mount other partition. Yes fat should be first partition.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
I really don't know then, invalid argument means incorrect parameters, eg you typed commands wrong or partition isn't ext4.
Copy and paste the commands I posted in your terminal rather than typing them, also try to mount other partition. Yes fat should be first partition.

Right, tried typing and copypasta from your original post already, about 50 times lol. What do you mean by mount the other partition exactly though? I've tried both of the commands in your original post. Even tried mounting /system and /data with CW Recovery, then unmounting them with adb. I was also able to mount the /sdcard through CW Recovery, but that should be the internal one if I'm not mistaken.

Chance0066

Oct 20, 2012
[SOLVED] Had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers while in recovery mode. Got everything lined up here. Thanks for the help.

-Set the tablet into CMW Recovery
-I went into device manager and uninstalled my Android ADB Interface drivers
-Scanned for hardware changes
-Chose to manually install drivers
-Selected Have disk with the selected drivers
-I navigated to the drivers from the SDK C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver
-Made sure that I selected Android ADB Interface from the list

Last edited:

rhg135

Oct 26, 2012
Can you please upload your source, great job on cm.

Sent from my LGL55C using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

208Byerly

Nov 28, 2012
This is a prerequisite post for CM10 for 8042.

Once you partitioned your sdcard, boot into recovery

You should make a backup before you install cm10.

adb shell

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data

busybox df -h

now look at your Used Available for /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

the partition mount as /data should be larger than the one mounted by /system.

if /system partition is larger then umount both

umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

then switch mount points

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data

now /data partition should be larger than /system partition

there will be two boot.img one is for /data mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

the other is for /data mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

so you need to know where your /data is mounted before flashing boot.img

If your /data is mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 use this boot.img

cm10_8042_p3.zip

If your /data is mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 use this boot.img

cm10_8042_p2.zip

This is CM10 for Coby 8042

1jb8042_system.tar - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

To install, you have to already done the prerequisites, now choose your boot.img either cm10_8042_p2.zip or cm10_8042_p3.zip place it on your sdcard, now download 1jb8042_system.tar place it on your sdcard, reboot to recovery.

in mount options on cw recovery choose mount /sdcard, format /cache mount /cache
adb shell
or
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

depending on which boot.img you choose.

busybox tar -cvf /sdcard/1jb8042_system.tar /system

once finished close terminal choose install zip from sdcard
choose the boot.img you downloaded install then reboot.

Once cm10 is installed and working you can then add scripts to run as dual boot.

I run dual boot with CM9 and CM10

You need to already have CM9 installed

to do this you need two scripts one goes in /system/bin on CM9 and CM10, you also need to create a folder on your sdcard called.

dual_boot

inside the dual-boot folder place cm9 and cm10 boot.img

then download these scripts place reboot-cm9 into cm10 /system/bin

place reboot-cm10 into cm9 /system/bin chmod 755 both.

then if you want to switch OS open terminal

su

reboot-cm10

or

reboot-cm9

dual_boot_scripts.zip

if you are using cm10_8042_p3.zip then you need to edit reboot-cm10 script and add a 1 to boot_ds.img every time you see boot_ds.img change it to 1boot_ds.img then save.

Is this all done while in recovery mode from the menus? I followed Traveller1701's instructions to root and install your cm9 for my 8042 and it went off without a hitch. I want to attempt this, but I am making sure I don't need anything special to do so (I am a windows 7 user).

Thanks in advance!