Methods to recovery coby allwinner, via command line.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is a quick guide to recovery your Coby allwinner device.

Your device must be rooted, have cw recovery installed, with usb debugging enabled you don't have to restore all three (bootloader.img, boot.img, system.tgz) you can just restore as many as you need, I will post commands how to restore each below.

Don't ask me about windows drivers as I keep repeating myself, I don't use windows yet people still ask me windows questions.

You need to have made your own backup or able to get a backup of your device before trying adb restore method, this thread isn't to explain how to make a backup other threads already explain that.

First step is to use adb to boot into cw recovery

adb shell

su

echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot

Once in recovery

mount sdcard

best to open two terminal windows one to push other to execute adb commands

determine what you want to push (bootloader.img, boot.img, system.tgz)

in push terminal

adb push bootloader.img /sdcard/bootloader.img

adb push boot.img /sdcard/boot.img

adb push system.tgz /sdcard/system.tgz

in execute terminal

adb shell

cat /sdcard/bootloader.img > /dev/block/nanda

cat /sdcard/boot.img > /dev/block/nandc

Now if you need to restore system

adb shell

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandd /system

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/nande /data

rm -r /system/*

rm -r /data/*

busybox tar -xzvf /sdcard/system.tgz

once done

reboot

People keep asking me can one fastboot allwinner tablets? Yes you can, but I don't cover fastboot as it requires special drivers for windows and I don't want to be asked tons of question about fastboot, as fastboot isn't for newbies, it's for advanced users.

I will post the command to get you into fastboot but wont answer any fastboot questions, again fastboot is for advanced user.

adb shell

su

echo -n boot-fastboot | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot

below is what fastboot command looks like on my Linux.

Code:
root@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:/home/vampirefo/Desktop# adb shell
echo -n boot-fastboot | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot
0+1 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512B) copied, 0.029917 seconds, 16.7KB/s

root@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:/home/vampirefo/Desktop# fastboot devices
20080411	fastboot

root@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:/home/vampirefo/Desktop# fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.000s
root@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:/home/vampirefo/Desktop#

Note if you already used cat on either bootloader.img or boot.img don't type adb shell again for system restore as you would already be is shell, you only need to be in shell once to execute as many commands as you want, if you try to adb shell while in shell you get an error.

Also note when pushing you may need to use full path if you get can't find error.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for all the great info. A caution to anyone experimenting with fastboot, I managed to really mess up my system. So, proceed with caution.

redazteck

May 9, 2014
~ # mount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandd/system
mount: can't find /dev/block/nandd/system in /etc/fstab

update: sorry my bad, the correct command should be like this : ~ # mount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandd /system

Last edited: