CM7 on NookColor: WiFi problems?

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
My husband and I put CyanogenMod 7 with gapps 7.0.3 on my NookColor: we were following along the Husker video instructions. Everything loaded OK; we got into Android, set up the WiFi, even had apps show up. But no Market.

I think we have an underlying WiFi problem: WiFi keeps cycling between connected and disconnected. And at first we had the app drawer (square with 4 squares within) showing up. Now we have just a grayed out star. We have a Westell VersaLink 327W DSL router.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

Last edited:

pustyak

May 10, 2011
I don't know exactly what the Husker video instructions are, but it sounds to me like you have a bad installation or an unstable version of CM7. I installed CM7 (nightly build 87) on an SD card, and everything is fine with my wifi and market and launcher. Have you considered trying to install again either to SD or to internal? I assume that if you are having all of these problems, you won't lose much if you start again from scratch. Check out the threads here on installing CM7. You can't go wrong with them.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My husband and I put CyanogenMod 7 with gapps 7.0.3 on my NookColor: we were following along the Husker video instructions. Everything loaded OK; we got into Android, set up the WiFi, even had apps show up. But no Market.

I think we have an underlying WiFi problem: WiFi keeps cycling between connected and disconnected. And at first we had the app drawer (square with 4 squares within) showing up. Now we have just a grayed out star. We have a Westell VersaLink 327W DSL router.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

Sounds two fold 1. is wifi issues which may be the result of a bad install or just general wifi problems perhaps with yuor network. CM7 7.0.3 is stable and should not have wifi issues so your problem is probably elsewhere. 2. When you say no market does that mean you didn't have the market or it wasn't working correctly? You need to have a google account and steady wifi for the market to work.

As far as losing the app drawer, that star means you have an open spot on your launcher bar. What you did is remove the app icon from the launcher bar. Long press the screen and you will bring up a box with options. One of the options is to choose ADW launcher icons. Choose the app drawer and either place it on your desktop or back inthe launcher bar on top of the star.

JP

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the directions re: the app drawer. I don't know how it got removed.

We got the Nook to connect to a Virgin Mobile WiFi hot spot, so I don't know if the problem lies in our router. We did have WiFi problems when I updated to the NookColor 1.2, and I had to do a hard re-set.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the directions re: the app drawer. I don't know how it got removed.

We got the Nook to connect to a Virgin Mobile WiFi hot spot, so I don't know if the problem lies in our router. We did have WiFi problems when I updated to the NookColor 1.2, and I had to do a hard re-set.

It is a good idea to periodically reset your router. Just unplug for 10 seconds or so then plug back in. Particularly if you are having devices connetion issues. Glad you got the app drawer sorted it can be annoying if you can't get to your apps.

JP

nabour

Jul 13, 2011
I don't know exactly what the Husker video instructions are, but it sounds to me like you have a bad installation or an unstable version of CM7. I installed CM7 (nightly build 87) on an SD card, and everything is fine with my wifi and market and launcher. Have you considered trying to install again either to SD or to internal? I assume that if you are having all of these problems, you won't lose much if you start again from scratch. Check out the threads here on installing CM7. You can't go wrong with them.

Newby question -- would you please give me some guidance on how to install nightly onto my sd card? I am unsure whether I need to wipe card clean and put nightly on it, or do I just load it onto the card "as is." And I also am not sure where to find CM7(nightly build 87) - labeling system on the site I found didn't have that particular build.

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Barbara

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Newby question -- would you please give me some guidance on how to install nightly onto my sd card? I am unsure whether I need to wipe card clean and put nightly on it, or do I just load it onto the card "as is." And I also am not sure where to find CM7(nightly build 87) - labeling system on the site I found didn't have that particular build.

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Barbara

Here's Latest Nightlies
CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

If you have CM7 installed on a SD card already - to update - you just download the latest nightly file and change the file name to

i.e.
File Name = cm_encore_full-131.zip
Change to = update-cm_encore_full-131.zip

Then drag the file ( with update- name ) onto your SD card via your PC card reader = Eject from PC and use SD card to Boot into Recovery Mode holding down your N button and Power Button - and your device will install - same as when you add Google Market - or Dalingrin's OC kernal.

SOURCE said:
How to update to a new build:
put the new build you want to try on the first partition. (the name must be update-cm-*.zip or cm_encore_full*.zip or just update-*.zip)
Boot from the SDcard in the recovery mode (see above) and the new snapshot would be installed.
The partition layout would be preserved, filesystems are NOT reformatted, so your data should be safe.

[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. - xda-developers

As always - recommended to back up your data before updating. But I have done this a few times - and haven't lost any data. But when I have the time to learn Titanium Backup - I'll be backing up before each update

Last edited:

Benito_EM

Oct 2, 2013
Let me start by saying I'm running
CyanogenMod-7.1.0-encore,
kernel version "2.6.32.9 erik@myhost #151"
On my Nook Color.
I had never had any problems connecting to my wireless router at home until I recently had major crash issues with 7.1.0 and re-installed it exactly as before.
Now, I cannot connect to the internet through my wifi router at home. I went to check WiFi at a public place and was able to connect, so it's not total inability to use WiFi, only with my home network.
I have a Westell model 7500 gateway.

So, since I've encountered this problem yesterday I've tried:

Running "fix permissions" in ROM Manager as per another suggestion I'd read. It had no effect.

After that:
switching to a static IP
IP addresses (192.168.1.107 and 192.168.1.27)
Gateway (192.168.1.1)
Netmask
DNS 1
DNS 2
(don't remember what I used, I have the page bookmarked at home).

This finally enabled me to connect to the router, but I was still not able to connect to the internet. I know there was an internet connection to the router because my desktop PC was working).

I even desperately tried something way out of my league as a final, desperate measure. I found instructions to enter some commands in termainal emulator as a superuser to eliminate some lines of code about wifi. I cannot remember what they are. No effect.

Let me also add I checked the router settings through my provider and wireless was active. I've also turned off the router a few times using the on/off switch and even did a full reset.

So, now, I've re-reinstalled 7.1.0 yet again to start clean (in case I messed anything up with my attempts) but am out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.