Coby 1042: Bricked?!

Diegom

Nov 24, 2012
Hey guys,

I recently got a Coby 1042, which is now in a horrible state --gets stuck at the Coby logo during boot.

After rooting, I was following these instructions to install CWM:
Make a copy of the stock recovery that you created in the "Create System dump" step. Place that copy in the data subdirectory of the utility and rename it to "stock_recovery.img". Take the copy of ClockworkMod you just downloaded, unzip it if it comes in a zip file, place it in the data subdirectory of the utility, then rename the file to "cwm_recovery.img". Then run "root_restore.bat". Have your device connected to the PC just as if you were going to root the tablet, but at the selection menu in the utility, select the "Recovery" option. At the next menu choice, select ClockworkMod and follow the prompts. When finished the tablet will reboot into ClockworkMod. Make a backup of the ROM at this point, using ClockworkMod's "Backup and restore" function.
from here
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...evelopment-index-root-utility.html#post234276

After an in principle successful installation it rebooted (to boot into CWM recovery mode), and it gets stuck in the black startup screen with the COBY logo.... and that's it, it doesn0t even make it to the android splash screen. of course, it never makes into CWM or anything else. ADB does not find either.

I did create a dump before going into the CWM step. you can find it here:
Coby1042_stock_dump.rar

Any suggestions anybody?!?! Is there anyway to reset the whole thing to zero? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

dm

PS: happy holidays to everybody!!

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
Hold the silver button and power to get to the CWM recovery. Have the alien rom custom rom on your sd card and try flashing that. Seems to be the only option. I can't get wifi to work on it, so not sure what else is out there.

Rainsoda

Jun 15, 2013
Guys, please help, I have the same exact problems and the way I got it is also the same. Also, holding the silver button and power to get to recovery doesn't work. Any ideas how to fix?

Rainsoda

Jun 15, 2013
Unfortunately, I've tried the vol- and vol+ power combinations (also all 3 of them) but it doesn't put me in the recovery mode.

Truthfully speaking, I'm kind of confused with the instructions about installing CWM:
1) When he said "make a copy of the stock recovery...then rename it to..." , does it mean that I take the .zip file with all dump files(boot.img, bootloader.img,etc.) and rename it to "stock_recovery.img"? If yes then the .zip file will turn to a .img file (through renaming)?

2) In the instruction "Take the copy of ClockworkMod you just downloaded, unzip it if it comes in a zip file, place it in the data subdirectory of the utility, then rename the file to cwm_recovery.img", does it mean that I put the files I unzipped(it has a folder named data and the other one is a text file root_recovery) in a new folder then rename the folder to cwm_recovery.img (changing it from a folder to .img file through renaming) and put it in the data subdirectory of the utility?

3) Based on the next instructions, the "utility" with the data subdirectory (in which you put the copied and renamed files) he is talking about is the ADB utility(Root and Dump Utility for Windows)?

Sorry for the long questions, I'm just trying to determine what I did wrong for making my tablet bricked and at the same time determining what could be done to resolve it. :)
Help Pls :confused:

Ck3000

Jul 8, 2013
I have a Coby Kyros 1042 and had the screen stuck on the android screen with no usb debbuging and no sdk...this worked for me...got me back to stock with everything working...you will lose all the information that is on your coby kyros and have stock ics...

To unbrick Coby Kyros MID1042 STUCK ON ADROID BOOT SCREEN(Without Usb Debbuging)...using Windows Vista with Livesuit v 1.07

you will need livesuit v 1.07 and sun4i_crane_mid1042_120701(8GB)V1.img

start LiveSuit...press no on Welcome to Livesuite when it asks to make a backup...using the square on the left side of the Livesuit(an orange and gray square) beside the gray gears icon...navigate to sun4i_crane_mid1042_120701(8GB)V1.img ...select it and it will load to Livesuit...

Next turn off your tablet and unplug from computer...press the reset button on the back of the coby kyros MID1042 and hold the reset button down...connect the coby kyros to computer usb...(release the reset button when you see a pop-up on Livesuit)the livesuite will have a pop up that ask if you want to format...press yes...another pop up will ask and press yes...now the computer will install the stock rom on your coby Kyros MID1042..when it restarts or you restart it after completion,unplug usb...it will start with the stock rom

pd...I also installed MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0 first...don't know if that helped Livesuit find my Koby Kyros MID1042

xxampamxx

Feb 19, 2014
its not working on me. when i push the reset button then plug the it on my computer and release the reset button its still stuck on coby logo.

i tried to push the home button(silver button) and the power the coby logo appears then blink once then stuck on coby logo after a minute the android logo will appear then nothing to follow