Coby Kyros 9742 Bricked

Piruzao

Oct 10, 2012
Hi, i try to update my coby kyros 9742 with Live Suite 1.0.7, and the custom ROM, but, the Live Suite stock on 3% , and now, the tablet dont up.

when i'm conect the tablet to pc, i hear de windows detection sound, and install driver too, but on the tablet screen, just black. dont enter em recovery mode, i have try then all, have something to do ? i have lost my tablet ? i need help !

When a press the power button, then turn off, and turn on, i know by windows sound.

thanks !

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't think there's much that can be done here. You can keep trying Livesuit and see if it will eventually register, but I think you totally bricked your 9742. You should have done a bit more research before attempting modify your tablet, as there are alternate methods available to not only get Google apps onto the device, but change ROMs as well.

Piruzao

Oct 10, 2012
and now ? i have lost my tablet ? with a simple live suite metod, i have lost then ? i cant belivee

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
While Livesuit does work on Coby tablets, it was not written specifically for them. Also, with Livesuit if something goes wrong it's very difficult to recover from. You're discovering this firsthand.

The possible damage Livesuit can do is why I repeatedly recommend people use Clockworkmod to either install the Google apps, or install custom ROMs. It's far less likely that the tablet will be permanently bricked if something goes wrong. Plus there are other benefits to Clockworkmod, such as backing up the tablet without needing a PC.

I wish I had better news for you, but about the only thing you can do now is to pack up the tablet, send it to the place you bought it from, and request an exchange.

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
and now ? i have lost my tablet ? with a simple live suite metod, i have lost then ? i cant belivee

Can you talk to it at all with the ADB shell? If so, you might try shutting it down on the command line and rebooting into that screen (whatever it's called) that allows you to do a factory reset.
If that doesn't work and you can't return it there is a video on youtube about recovering a hard bricked Kyros. It's a different model so I don't know how applicable it is to the 9742. You have to take the unit apart and short a couple of pins on a chip.
I don't think any one here has done it with a 9742. I'm sure we'd all like to know if it works.
If you recover & you aren't too gunshy after the experience, use traveller1701's batch file. It and the accompanying files you'll need are in the first sticky in the development forum.

Piruzao

Oct 10, 2012
Can you talk to it at all with the ADB shell? If so, you might try shutting it down on the command line and rebooting into that screen (whatever it's called) that allows you to do a factory reset.
If that doesn't work and you can't return it there is a video on youtube about recovering a hard bricked Kyros. It's a different model so I don't know how applicable it is to the 9742. You have to take the unit apart and short a couple of pins on a chip.
I don't think any one here has done it with a 9742. I'm sure we'd all like to know if it works.
If you recover & you aren't too gunshy after the experience, use traveller1701's batch file. It and the accompanying files you'll need are in the first sticky in the development forum.

hi, can you simplify ? how i use this comand line ? i have Linux instaled, but in another pc i have Windows 7 64bit.
can i re-install using the external sdcard ? becuse this model dont have internal sdcard, and have two NAND chips. called FLASH01 and FLASH02. i already try the metod of pins , but have two chips, i see the metod with just one NAND chip. please help me with this tablet.

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
On the command line type
adb devices
and tell us what you see. This assumes adb (the Android Debug Bridge) is in your path.

Piruzao

Oct 10, 2012
On the command line type
adb devices
and tell us what you see. This assumes adb (the Android Debug Bridge) is in your path.

i tryed, show a msg List of Adb Devices, but dont show nothing.

but when a plug into a pc, windows detect, install. etc..

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Is ADB in your path in Windows? If not, you need to go to where you have ADB located and open up a command prompt there. Then execute the adb devices command. However, the pessimist in me believes that you'll not get anywhere with that command. Unfortunately, for ADB to work you have to turn on USB Debugging in Android. Since the tablet apparently has nothing on it you won't be able to access USB Debugging. Therefore, trying to recover using Windows isn't going to work.

You may have better luck with Linux, however I am not as familiar with Linux as I used to be so I won't be of much help there.

Piruzao

Oct 10, 2012
Is ADB in your path in Windows? If not, you need to go to where you have ADB located and open up a command prompt there. Then execute the adb devices command. However, the pessimist in me believes that you'll not get anywhere with that command. Unfortunately, for ADB to work you have to turn on USB Debugging in Android. Since the tablet apparently has nothing on it you won't be able to access USB Debugging. Therefore, trying to recover using Windows isn't going to work.

You may have better luck with Linux, however I am not as familiar with Linux as I used to be so I won't be of much help there.

thanks for the help, but nothing work, the tablet has hard bricked.
this gona be a warning for new's 9742 consumers. Dont try to use the Live Suite.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I've only been mentioning to others not to use Livesuit for months now. Unfortunately the thread mentioning the 9742 Livesuit ROM has some 40000 hits, making it too easy to find.

verrwirung

Nov 4, 2012
thanks for the help, but nothing work, the tablet has hard bricked.
this gona be a warning for new's 9742 consumers. Dont try to use the Live Suite.

The best way to install ROM (custom or stock) is by using CWM...
but i've been using Livesuit too...
this happened to me before, got stuck on 7% then accidentally pulled the usb out, bham!! black screen and no recovery...
what i did was, restart PC/Laptop, opened task manager to make sure Livesuit is not running,
but when i connect my tablet, I can hear the bump sound, which means, that the laptop is still on Livesuit mode (whatever mode it is),
tried plugging my tablet on wall charger, no battery animation showing in the first 2-4mins, then as luck would have it, it showed up (which for me, means that the Livesuit mode is out)
then, since I don't have anything on my tablet, coz Livesuit probably messed up everything, I had no choice but to use Livesuit again, downloaded a fresh 9742 ROM (from steev's post) and left it there
till it was done, after that, installed CWM and did everything from CWM (dump, backup, restore, flash, etc.)
it worked for me, not every situation here is the same coz they vary in device's hardware...
so next time, be very careful...as what Traveller is always saying, read as many posts as you can, before deciding what to use...

jayson3st

Nov 2, 2012
I did the livesuit rom and it runs decent but Ive been seeing that this is not the best way to get the google play option. Can I still change it to the the best option available. I am not the most savvy computer guy so the easiest instructions would be appreciated lol. Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't recommend trying to install CWM over a Livesuite install as there have been incidents of tablets being bricked. However, it's your decision as to what you want to do. Be aware however that if something goes wrong there may be no way to fix it.