Coby Kyros MID 1042 Can't install ClockWorkMod, doesn't list my device. What to do?

pickett37

Mar 12, 2013
Hello,
I'm a newbie to all this Android stuff. Just got this Coby Kyros MID 1042 tablet and it doesn't have Google Play Store. The following is my quest to open my device to be able to install and use Google Play Store. After searching much forum and YouTube info I found a ROM (AlienDroid V.2.0) here: [http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...d-advanced-gui-customization-11-18-12-a.html] that I want to use to replace my standard Coby ROM, it includes Google Play Store. In following the instructions I was, with much effort, finally able to root this tablet using "Unlock Root" tried "SuperOneClick" but it failed. Next I'm trying to install ClockWorkMod and can't find a way to do it. When I access "ROM Manager" I try to "Flash" ClockWorkMod as my Recovery Setup and it doesn't show my device. It says ClockWorkMod has no Recovery Setup currently for my device. I'd really like to be able to have this installed and working. I've also successfully installed drivers on my computer for my device and installed JDK and SDK, which I know nothing about other than they allow communication between my PC and Tablet, and they appear to be working correctly. Am totally ignorant about how to use these programs. I also was able to install "update.zip". Don't know what difference that made though. Can't tell if anything changed after installing it. Don't even know what it's supposed to do or add.
So, there you are. What can I do now? Steve

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Read the sticky posts in development. And...uninstall ROM Manager as it's useless on all Generation 3 tablets.

mathsmom

Jun 25, 2012
I had this same problem with rooting. I finally managed to root thanks to another site. When you ask a question as a newbie all you get is "look in this thread". Then you spend hours looking through 1 or 2 threads and find nothing. It must be easier to work on dumps and other things than to post a link.

I came back here because someone has a ROM I want and he links to here for inst on installing CWM on Coby 1042 ... but there are none. Just wrote this so anyone new coming here looking for help can save their time and go elsewhere b/c you won't find it here. This site claims to be a place to help you but all you get are nothing or smart A answers. If you're not android tech savvy you are left alone to find it yourself. Someone in another post actually posted a link to Google search and that is truly where you need to go.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The number one question here is "how do I root?" This is because the only means to get the Play Store on Coby tablets is by rooting. When you ask a question like that, I will direct you to the sticky posts in Generation 3 Development and encourage you to read them. Why? Because those sticky posts explain everything you need to know, and provide you with links to the tools necessary to get the job done. The issue here however isn't with people not providing links or how-to posts, but with people not bothering to read the sticky posts in these forums. Inevitably, when something goes wrong, they look for a developer or advanced user to bend over backwards to fix the mess they created by not taking the time to read the information already provided and asking questions about that information.

If you don't understand something, ask. But don't expect anyone to spoonfeed you information simply because you chose to wallow in ignorance rather than bask in enlightenment.

mathsmom

Jun 25, 2012
Your reply is my point exactly. I NEVER asked a developer for anything. All I wanted was info on how to root. I was directed to a place but guess what? No info was there. I spend hours reading information NOT pertaining to what I wanted or even the correct tablet. I couldn't even get the info to screw anything up. Just like the person above asked about how to get CWM on a Coby 1042 - I need this as well so I looked through all of the Sticky's but there is no such information.

There are people (on other forums) who, for example, post how to root a Coby 1042 do this, then this, then this, etc and amazingly it works - thanks for the help. Then there is this forum of people who when you ask say read the sticky or read the entire forum even though it does not pertain to your question or for that matter your tablet. Why just NOT reply! I guess it's more fun to know you are sending someone to a place where they will not find anything but knowing you are sending them on a wild goose chase is hilarious! Yes there are people who want to be spoon fed but before accusing anyone of that why not ask if they have read things b/c there are also people who have searched for days for help and who have read all they can about it but still no help. If you don't know how to help with a Coby 1042 just say IDK or don't reply that is much nicer. Gen 3 Dev speaks a few post abt 1042 but then turns to 7042 which is no help b/c informed ppl know if you use 7042 info on 1042 you will not have a good turn out.
Informed ppl have already read and read and know that using other tablet methods for root etc are futile and perhaps that is why they post for specific help for their tablet. I guess that never occurred to anyone - No it didn't it makes people assume they are lazy or uninformed. Whatever! I am done. Sorry to be long winded. It just so frustrating needing help and being treated like a dee-dee-dee for asking a question. Don't worry I won't be back here again to ask a question. It obviously doesn't do any good and is just more frustrating than anything.

And for the record I do not wallow in ignorance. I do my research and I obviously did enough to root my tablet and and root my S3 with a nice custom ROM. Someday I will figure out how to get CWM on my tablet and it obviously will not be with help from you or anyone on this forum. Thx for your reply as it confirms and proves my point from the last reply.

The number one question here is "how do I root?" This is because the only means to get the Play Store on Coby tablets is by rooting. When you ask a question like that, I will direct you to the sticky posts in Generation 3 Development and encourage you to read them. Why? Because those sticky posts explain everything you need to know, and provide you with links to the tools necessary to get the job done. The issue here however isn't with people not providing links or how-to posts, but with people not bothering to read the sticky posts in these forums. Inevitably, when something goes wrong, they look for a developer or advanced user to bend over backwards to fix the mess they created by not taking the time to read the information already provided and asking questions about that information.

If you don't understand something, ask. But don't expect anyone to spoonfeed you information simply because you chose to wallow in ignorance rather than bask in enlightenment.