Coby Kyros MID7015

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
I was thinking of purchasing the ARCHOS 7 but now I have found that the Coby Kyros seems so much better. :D

My first concern is that I will be buying this from Target but this doesn't say "Kyros"... If you could, could you please take a look at the Target link and let me know if this is the Kyros. Also, will this be able to be bought at a Target store, or only online? And is this a wifi tablet? Coby 7" Mobile Internet Tablet - Black (MID7015-4G) : Target

Also, it doesn't come with Market and the other Google apps but I would like to root it myself by this method, but I have never rooted a device so I'd like you to tell me if this method is legit and functional. It seems simple enough. This video was posted to Youtube on 01/09/11 so it is fairly new...

Any other thinks you could tell me about this tablet would be great, since this may be my first tablet and I'm totally new with it. Thank you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
Hello KSR,

The tablet shown on the Target link is a Coby Kyros MID7015. The video above is the same one I referenced to root and add Google Market. Worked perfectly. There is also a guide in the Coby Kyros thread for rooting and adding Google Market to the Kyros 7015.

I debated between the Archos 7 Home Edition v2 and the Coby Kyros 7015 and picked the Coby. I have had it for about 10 days now and I am very satisfied with it. I've spent some time in customizing it but that's part of the fun with these tablets anyway!

Enjoy the Coby!

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
Thank you for the quick reply and the feedback. I found both the Coby and the Archos were both the same cost but the Coby seems so much of a better built and it's a higher Android OS. With the Coby rooted to have the Google apps, I think I'll be very happy with it and the above root method seems very root friendly. :) LOL

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
No problem!

I have had several different android tablets and the Coby Kyros 7015 and the X5A are my favorites. There are two things I would improve on the Coby 7015 if I could and that would be WiFi reception (it's a little weak but most android tabs are I've found) and speaker volume (but again I have discovered that some applications are much louder than others).

All in all, it's a purchase I've been very happy with!

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
God, I am so excited about buying this product now! :D

After I root it and gain access to the "Market", will I be able to get all the apps as I would on my DROID X? Does this tablet support Home Replacements such as GO Launcher, ADW Launcher, and Launcher Pro, etc?

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
I haven't noticed any limitations to the Google Market. As for the Home Replacements, I've had both Launcher Pro and ADW on the Coby and they both work fine.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
there are some things that are 2.2+ specific, or are restricted by the author(s). some things just don't work (e.g. NinjaMorph). you'll just have to play with it and see what you can get it to do.

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
Thank you for the replies, I'm really getting more-and-more excited about buying this. :)

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
For the price, the Kyros is a good buy, but the touchscreen/keyboard respomse is horrendous.
There have been many times I've wanted to throw the thing against a wall from the frustration of the screen interaction. Yes I would recommend it since it does a lot for the price -- e-reader, movie player, some games -- but as a web surfing device, it's a test of human patience...

Just my honest 2cents.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Odd. I've not had any screen issues (except when my 2 yr old decides to recalibrate it). It may be worth doing a bit of research info other people's experiences (and from what I've read, they're mostly positive).

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
I've had nothing but frustration when surfing the web and scrolling through pages with a lot of links on them. Any kind of a touch on any link, will automatically click on it and send you to a new page. I have used my fingertip, fingernail and different styluses and it's always the same. Also the zoom in/out button always pops when you least expect it/want it and now you are in zooming limbo. And let's not even talk about the *profanity deleted* keyboard response...

Recalibrating sometimes help and sometimes it doesn't. I have called Coby and they were of no use. Plus I've had it for more than 30days, so I can't get it replaced. I'll be honest, if I had known all of this before, I would probably have not gotten it. Is just too much frustration... It would be incredible if a mouse worked, one can only dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
I'm gonna keep trying to add more stuff from the market like ADW Launcher and see how it changes the interaction. Also I'm going to be using Skyfire as my browser, that way I can see flash content. As much as it frustrates me, I'm not giving up on the tablet yet.

:)

Cutty1

Dec 18, 2010
I have AWD Launcher EX on mine and It Is Awesome...And I also Have Skyfire for Web Browsing..It works Great...

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
I've found the Coby 7015 screen to be very responsive, even online with the stock browser.