Coby Kyros MID9742-8 9.7 inch ICS 4.0 compatible folio, case, etc

Spykoo

Jun 14, 2012
I tried searching the internet for this but here goes. I have the Coby Kyros 9.7 inch MID9742-8 tablet and was wondering if this tablet will fit any of the nice ipad cases or folios?? I did find some on the net but would have to order from China. Any suggestions? :D

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
I tried searching the internet for this but here goes. I have the Coby Kyros 9.7 inch MID9742-8 tablet and was wondering if this tablet will fit any of the nice ipad cases or folios?? I did find some on the net but would have to order from China. Any suggestions? :D
I want to know it too. Couldn't find one in dx.com

docswanna

Jun 14, 2012
I got an Ipad case from Big Lots for mine yesterday ($10) and it fit just fine. Only problem was I had to make a few adjustments for the buttons on the side and there's no holes for the cameras.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
I've been looking at a few of these too, most seem to cover the edges of the tablet, but I think I've seen one that only holds it in by the corners. Obviously the camera hole would be in the wrong place, but I have a dremel ;).

I'll post here if I find something suitable.

Update: Picked up a 'Belkin classic bi-fold folio', and while being a little bit of a squeeze, it's the right size and leaves access to all the buttons & connectors.

The only downside is the camera cutout is in the wrong place, and there's no hole for the speaker, but I have a dremel so I can do something about that later.

Last edited:

ultraman

Jun 16, 2012
Got the "Acase Premium Leather Slimline Carrying Case for Apple iPad and HP TouchPad (Black)" on amazon for $7.65.

Fits perfectly along the bottom. The top right band that holds the tablet in the corner covers the back button but other than that it fits pretty well. Any case will muffle the speakers since they are located in the back.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
The ipad cases that are "slimline" won't work. They are the kind that snap on to the back - our tablet is a tad too big. But if you get an ipad case where the tablet slides into a frame-like-thing or is held by elastic at the edges, it will fit.

I have these two and they both work (although I did have to take scissors and a hole punch to fix the buttons/camera alignment):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NN9TSS/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00 <--corners stick out a little bit. Would not protect it if it were dropped on a corner.

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Execu...&qid=1341759323&sr=8-14&keywords=roocase+ipad

taledus

Jul 26, 2012
My 9742 came with a Tumi leather case...very nice! The only thing is it just slides in and zips shut, not good for protecting it while I am using it, or if my nuggets get a hold of the tablet and drop it. I want to get an actual keyboard/folio for this, but I can find nothing made for the 9742. Would be nice if it had some sort of screen protector on it as well. Does anyone have something currently that will work like this, or an idea of something that will?

Thanks.

Edit:
I found this on Amazon for those that just want a case: Amazon.com: HappyZone - (Black) Portfolio Leather Case Cover with Muti-Function Stand + Anti-Glare, Matte Finishing Screen Protector for HP TouchPad WiFi (16GB & 32GB) 9.7" Tablet: MP3 Players & Accessories

On Amazon though it lists this Amazon.com: [Aftermarket Product] Brand New Universal Faux Leather Case Cover+USB Keyboard+stylus Pen For 9.7 inch Android Tablet PC: Electronics that people have bought with the 9742 tablet, and since people have bought it (if anyone on here can offer an opinion) then I would appreciate it. I also found this Amazon.com: 10.2" Synthetic Leather Case with Keyboard and Stylus Pen for ePad and aPad (Black): Computers & Accessories and this Amazon.com: Keyboard Case with Stylus Pen for 10inch Superpad/Flytouch Android Tablet PC: Computers & Accessories for other options, but do not know if they will fit either.

Last edited:

taledus

Jul 26, 2012
Black 9.7'' Tablet PC MID Leather Sheath Keyboard Cover Case with Stylus USB US | eBay

I bought this keyboard/case from this listing on ebay. I just got mine in today and it is working great. The top piece slides up and is held on by a spring that causes it to firmly hold my 9742 in place. This seller has free shipping and ships out fast with tracking number...just make sure your delivery guy is not an illiterate redneck who has to "figure out" where he left your package at 3 hours before his normal delivery time. My tablet came with a USB to mini USB adapter...it just sticks out a bit and I'd like to track down a left angled one to make it stay along the side a bit more.

Now all I need is a screen protector and I have been unable to find one :( I'm not sure if I can get a 10" and just cut it down to fit, has anyone successfully done this? Also, if anyone has had success formatting a 64g micro sd card in your device and it work, please let me know. Thanks.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
It will fit. The only real differences between the two are the screen type and accessories. See the following thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/50392-coby-mid-9742-vs-mid-9740-a.html

www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimbook-MID9740-9-7-Inch-Internet/dp/B00ANGOIHM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365907183&sr=1-1&keywords=coby+kyros+mid9740+case

It does fit quite well. It's a leather-look case, looks like a book closed, opens into a stand (landscape orientation). It has nice stitching, holes everywhere you need them and not where you don't, some pockets for cards (credit and micro-sd sized, looks like), and assorted elastic bands, some of which I'm not sure of their purpose. I will need to enlarge the hole for the back camera as I have some stick-on auxilary lenses that don't quite fit through it. All in all I find it an excellent case, protective and nice-looking while still leaving the tablet fully operational, and at a very reasonable price.