Coby MID7022-4G keeps waking up?

Jul 3, 2011
I'm a Noob here, been reading some posts on the Coby MID7022.
Just picked one one up the other day, I like it but i've noticed that the tablet keeps waking up, the screen will turn on constantly when its not in use. I check the battery life and it shows Cell standby use of about 80%?? Is there a way to fix this because there is no mention of this model at all on the official Coby site. I'm willing to root it or try a cyanogenmod rom on it. Anybody else experience the same?

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
I'm a Noob here, been reading some posts on the Coby MID7022.
Just picked one one up the other day, I like it but i've noticed that the tablet keeps waking up, the screen will turn on constantly when its not in use. I check the battery life and it shows Cell standby use of about 80%?? Is there a way to fix this because there is no mention of this model at all on the official Coby site. I'm willing to root it or try a cyanogenmod rom on it. Anybody else experience the same?
The waking up thing is an issue I haven't resolved yet. I can tell u how to get rid of the cell phone standby but this does break certain apps like HBO go. U have to b rooted but u go into system / apps/ I'm pretty sure n u have to delete telephony.apk and phone.apk in that order. It will cause a force close so u will have to reset the device immediately but once u do u will have fixed the problem. Takes a hour or two for it to show in spare parts.cm7 is stable but missing importance parts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

StevieCook

Jun 27, 2011
mine started doing the same thing, I'm not sure what triggered it
I tried deleting apps I installed just before it happened but no luck yet

Jul 3, 2011
The waking up thing is an issue I haven't resolved yet. I can tell u how to get rid of the cell phone standby but this does break certain apps like HBO go. U have to b rooted but u go into system / apps/ I'm pretty sure n u have to delete telephony.apk and phone.apk in that order. It will cause a force close so u will have to reset the device immediately but once u do u will have fixed the problem. Takes a hour or two for it to show in spare parts.cm7 is stable but missing importance parts.

Thanks for the response and also for posting the vids on getting the Google Market on this tab. I followed your vid and got the market installed.
Now I'm ready to root and and try to remove the telephony and phone apps as you mentioned, and possibly try to figure out which app/service is causing the constant 'waking' of the tablet when not in use. What method is best to root this tablet? Can you point me in the right direction or post a link?

Again, thanks for taking the time on the vids and the posts, this is what sharing is all about.

Jul 3, 2011
mine started doing the same thing, I'm not sure what triggered it
I tried deleting apps I installed just before it happened but no luck yet

Mine was doing this out of the box, without installing any apps at all. I tried disabling WiFi and also putting the tablet in Airplane mode but it still constantly 'wakes up' when not in use. Gonna try a few things after i root and will post if i have any luck.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Mine was doing this out of the box, without installing any apps at all. I tried disabling WiFi and also putting the tablet in Airplane mode but it still constantly 'wakes up' when not in use. Gonna try a few things after i root and will post if i have any luck.

There is a thread on xda that has figured out this problem. They r u using a kogan tablet which is just a rebrand but same tablet. They seem to have a one step process to install root and clockwork mod. I posted a link to it on the topic 7022 interesting info. They r having the exact same problems. I will warn u I have not tested it yet but like I said its a rebrand. For example the clockwork mod everyone is using on this forum is built for an em73 tablet which is just a rebrand as well. Same tablet different name. Like I said though I haven't tested any of their procedures yet but they r simpler than what I have posted.

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
try renaming the phone.apk to phone.old and telephony.apk to telephone.old, then reboot.. this way it wont delete them just disable it so it wont run. if it doesnt work then just re-name to .apk again, also for cell standby check your build.prop for wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=?... see what number you have the bigger the number the less scan for wifi signal.. so in theory saves battery juice.. i have a coby 7015 and have mine set to 180.. you can set it to 60 and see if it helps!

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for the response and also for posting the vids on getting the Google Market on this tab. I followed your vid and got the market installed.
Now I'm ready to root and and try to remove the telephony and phone apps as you mentioned, and possibly try to figure out which app/service is causing the constant 'waking' of the tablet when not in use. What method is best to root this tablet? Can you point me in the right direction or post a link?

Again, thanks for taking the time on the vids and the posts, this is what sharing is all about.
There is a topic in this section that will explain how to root with links etc. If you are having problems still after that, I'll give a break down of how to do it. I make even make a video.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
So did rooting your device solve this problem propspecta?
Unfortunately no. I think I read in a rebrand forum that's its looking for a 3g service that isn't there and deleting the phone.apk and telephony.apk will fix. I removed those files and I will test when I get time. I think I'm going to post a video as well on how to root this tablet. You will need to install recovery first. I can't show that on the video because I don't have stock recovery anymore. A member posted a really simple method of installing recovery. Basically just renaming a file. It's in the topic rooting and recovery topic.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
I don't seem to have this problem at all. Not sure what fixed it but things I've done
-install full market
-install quick settings and turn off bluetooth and mobile data
-install advanced wifi lock free to fix wifi bug. <--- this one I did first thing I feel like maybe it fixed prob?

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

jeromekobriger

Jul 15, 2011
Here's an email I sent to Coby, along with their response:

Hello, I&#8217;ve recently purchased a Coby Kyros Mid7022 internet tablet from Best Buy. Every minute or so, the screen turns itself on for a few seconds, then back off again. I&#8217;m seeing this happen with a lot of people on outside forums. Do you have any idea of how to fix this issue? It seems to be causing a pretty significant battery drain when the unit is supposed to be in standby.

Thank you,
Jerry Kobriger

We have received your inquiry. It appears that your unit is defective. Return the unit to the retailer for an exchange. If the retailer will not exchange your unit, then send the product to us as stated in the warranty.
1) Return the product to the below address:

COBY Electronics
Attn: Warranty Returns
150 Knowlton Way
Savannah, GA 31407

2) Include a copy of the receipt.
Our products carry either a 90-day's warranty. Any product without a receipt is considered out of warranty.

3) Provide a Money Order for the return shipping of the replacement unit (see warranty card for the dollar amount).

Product Category Price
Adapters, converters, Chargers, Headphones, Microphones, Cellular accessories, Alarm Clock, Portable CD Players, Radios, Corded Telephones, MP3 players. $6.00

Closed-circuit TVs, Portable Stereo Systems, Speaker Systems, Cordless Telephones, Home DVD Players / Recorders, TVs (2.5&#8221; to 7&#8221; screens) $12.00
Home Theater DVD Systems, Portable DVD Players, Portable Media Players $18.00, Netbooks and Kyros $ 15.00, TVs (15&#8221; to 25" -$25.00), (26" to 42" -$50.00.

4) Provide a detailed note stating what is wrong with the unit.

5) Include in the note your full name, address, telephone number and email.

Sincerely,
Technical Support