converted videos will not play now

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
I have a m009 google android 2.2 7" tablet. I have converted videos over to the mp4 and they worked just fine. I loaned my tablet out and now I have it back and when I go to play some new videos that I just converted and put on my sd card, it gives me an error, "can't open". The movies that I had on the sd card before I loaned it out will still play, but nothing new that I have added since then. Did they change a setting or why will the new ones not play? I have tried probably 20 different movies and different settings and nothing works.... :(

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
i think, we need more information from you, format and settings you used when converting, the converted video size...

according to my own experience, android tablets prefer h.264 mp4 video, you may choose this format as output when converting, below is the settings i used for m009 by using Pavtube video converter, everyting is ok, for your reference

$m009-settings.png

Last edited:

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
I always convert them in mp4 and the ones that I had on there before I loaned my tablet out, play fine. It is just anything new that won't play. I even downloaded mobo player and it does the same thing. Plays the older ones and anything new I just converted will not play. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I think it used to ask me if I wanted to play them with the video player and the swf player and I would always choose the video player. Could they have changed a setting and if so, how do I change it back? It never really mattered before what size or anything I made them, but now nothing will play.

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
ok I converted another one over to the specs you gave me and it still says the same thing :confused: I tried the video player that came in the tablet and I also downloaded mobo player and it doesn't recgonize it either.

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
I have tried something else and hopefully someone can tell me ... The movies that I had converted and put on my sd card wouldn't play. SO I put a couple of my newly converted movies onto another sc card....they play fine. Is it my sd card? If I reformat that sd card, will it work with the new movies I converted? I really want to use the 32 g card but I have no idea what has happened to it. Can you change settings on the card? I am totally lost now...

J

jimbo7630

It won't hurt to try a reformat, but you'll lose anything on it unless you save it prior to formatting.

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
I have backed up everything on my pc on my backup external drive. I will try that & see if that works when I put the newly converted videos on it. I have never had to format an sd card before because I have never had any problems with them, so hopefully everything works out ok...thanks

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
ok now I think I am in BIG trouble. I erased my sd card, added movies to it and THEN put it back into my m009 google android tablet. Now it is stuck on the android spinning around and around and not doing anything else. HELP!

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
do I need to put back on everything from my backup file back onto the sd card?

J

jimbo7630

Areyou saying that the tablet will not boot up with the SD card in it? If so, does it boot up WITHOUT the SD card?

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
it does not boot up with or without the sd card. I've tried it both ways. I even put everything back on the sd card that I had backed up and tried that also. It just sticks on the android spinning around and around.

D

dvdcatalyst

Unless you actually did something with the firmware that went bad (maybe rooted and removed a few things or something like that) I don't think reflashing your tablet would be needed. A factory reset might do the trick though.
I don't have your tablet, so I tried googling for "m009 google android 2.2 7" tablet factory reset" but didn't find anything. If you have a link for how to install your firmware again, you should be able to find the steps for a reset there as well.

As for your video issue, not that it matters at this point, of course if the files worked before, there was nothing wrong with the settings you used. Likely what happened was that either a video player app (dice/rock/mobo/mx) was installed that took over the video playback for your video files, and something happened with the app-files for that app.

But, that, combined with a non-working tablet that you have now, might indicate something else. The cheaper tablets of course use cheaper flash memory as well, and if you didn't do any fancy stuff with your tablet in order to get your videos to play, maybe just restarted the tablet a few times, it could be that the memory on your tablet is progressively getting worse, corrupting more and more files from the rom as you go. If this is the case, your tablet is basically dead. Doing a factory reset would likely produce errors midway (or sooner) and the same would go for flashing your firmware.

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
since it stops in the startup with the android spinning around continously I guess I can try reinstalling the firmware. Have I got anything to lose? This tablet is only a couple months old :(

D

dvdcatalyst

since it stops in the startup with the android spinning around continously I guess I can try reinstalling the firmware. Have I got anything to lose? This tablet is only a couple months old :(

Since you can not do anything with it now, even a failed update would not make it work any different, so it is worth a try, but if it is only a few months old, maybe try and contact their support department, and see if they have some tricks up their sleeves. It seems to point to a corrupted rom. Does it have a recovery system on it, some button combo when you turn it on might bring it up.