Couple of good youtube videos on Craig CMP 738a

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Video OVERVIEW:

HOW TO INSTALL ALTERNATE ROMS:

(I don't think you have to keep holding down the Power and Home buttons during the entire firmware flashing, but that is what he recommends)

Last edited by a moderator:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
No you just unzip the file inside which is the update.img to a a microSD card though the Rooted version goes on your NAND root. Craigs goes on your microSD to load the image. Once it loaded you get prompted to Select update and that's it. Nothing to it. These two videos look interesting. To bad I had a bad time with the first two, I will not buy or allow them to give me one for free. It's been something else. But that first video the panel looks okay for what you get no lines. Funny I couldn't get Angry Birds to work on mine. It seems okay for you kids to use though.

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Well, playing with this Craig is sort of a challenge, for those of us who like to tinker, I think. :)

If I keep mine, it will probably be given to my son, which is what the guy in the first video said was his plan.

Once I put Shad's 4.3 ROM on mine, Market worked fine (think I cleared the app cache once and rebooted twice). Then I was able to download both the original free Angry Birds and Rio off Android Market.

The original free Angry Birds works fine on mine, as long as the background is turned off. Background on...way to slow to be playable.

The Rio version downloaded and installed just fine, but it's way too slow to be playable on mine. And I can't find a way to turn off the background (not obvious anyway).

So I am guessing that game is too much for the Rockchip 2818? Anyway, I haven't explored it further yet.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
There is not real 3D support on this tablet, and the CPU SoC system on the chip isn't that great. Ran 2D/3D test on this Craig and Coby 7015. Coby was better it plays AG Rio without issue, but not as good eLocity A7 or Archos A32 since they have Cortex A8. Now the New Cortex A8 1GHz that Coby runs these games. Rage of Thunder II needs a 1GHz CPU and full 3D support. Craig is more for e-reader and some 2D games. Don't expect anything more from it.

This tablet is good for young kids but teens, pre-teens and adults should look for something else.

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Good to know on the Coby. The Telechips CPU is speced a bit higher than the Rockchip 2818, so that makes sense. I haven't played with one myself, but I've seen them in stores here.

I was quite tempted to buy that eLocity A7 from shopnbc.com last month, but it seems the capacitive multitouch model is imminent, so that slowed me down. On the XDA forum there were some threads talking about problems with their implementation of 2.2...that slowed me down further.

Then I saw some video reviews of the Herotab C9...which looked really good for the price. Will it ever ship? Has anyone really got one?

Now, as a new tablet for the mid-term, I think I am settling on the Wits 81E or G now. Price is very reasonable on it and it seems quite mature. The newer Coby looks like a winner too, but again...is it really available?

I agree with your assessment of the CMP 738a. If you get one with a decent screen and battery, it's not a bad eReader. Don't expect it to be a game machine...or play the latest Flash. Who knows, the original design specs for the Craig CMP 738a might have started out as an eReader and then it morphed into a cheap Android tablet? I've worked in the industry long enough to know how that kind of thing can happen. ("Can you add just ONE MORE feature????")

Last edited: