Craig CMP741e Tablet ICS 4.0.3 Review, Has Allwinner A10 CPU

ziddey

Jan 1, 2013
I wish I made a virgin dump when I first got the device. I installed gapps through RootThat-ICS and had a pretty terrible experience as well.

I have since flashed the gapps linked to in the other thread -- gapps.ics.20120703-2-aroma.zip via cwm. I may be speaking too soon, but things seem to be running a lot smoother since. It seemed a little strange that the whole RootThat-ICS package is 28MB vs gapps weighing in around 50MB.

I imagine Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps would work just as well.

I made a backup of the stock recovery, but cwm for some reason decided to wipe the internal storage.

Last edited:

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
ziddey: (newbie question) can your recovery file be used to re image the unit? I have downloaded a few rom's (CM9 etc) but am not sure if it will work with the unit and restore the touch screen.

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
can someone PLEASE upload a zip of the system/app files PLEASE? My brother was messing with it and deleted lots of files and now I keep getting force close everywhere. I did not make a nandroid back up beforehand =(

Your help is very very appreciated. Right now the tablet is unusable because it's constantly FC'ing. Please upload a zip of the system/app files or a nandroid backup. Thank you so much again.

ziddey

Jan 1, 2013
Unfortunately, I don't have a virgin dump. I initially used RootThat-ICS to install gapps. The result was pretty unpleasant. I may be speaking too soon, but it seems that things are a bit smoother after flashing a different gapps (weighs in at around 50MB vs the entire RootThat-ICS at 27MB).

I'm uploading a dump of my /system to my dropbox right now, along with /dev/block/nandc. I'm not sure what nanda (16mb), b (2mb), or f (1mb) are.

I made a dump of my original nandg (recovery), but somehow cwm decided to wipe my sd card before I had a chance to copy it off.

If anyone has a virgin device (haven't installed gapps or modified /system), you can make a dump by executing "busybox tar -cvf /mnt/sdcard/system.tar /system"
Either download terminal emulator or use adb. If you want to dump to a microsd, replace sdcard with extsd. It looks like the busybox tar cannot gzip, so you'll have to compress it afterwards if desired. Uncompressed archive should weigh in around 300MB.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28229678/nandc.img
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28229678/system.tar.gz

Last edited:

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
Unfortunately, I don't have a virgin dump. I initially used RootThat-ICS to install gapps. The result was pretty unpleasant. I may be speaking too soon, but it seems that things are a bit smoother after flashing a different gapps (weighs in at around 50MB vs the entire RootThat-ICS at 27MB).

I'm uploading a dump of my /system to my dropbox right now, along with /dev/block/nandc. I'm not sure what nanda (16mb), b (2mb), or f (1mb) are.

I made a dump of my original nandg (recovery), but somehow cwm decided to wipe my sd card before I had a chance to copy it off.

If anyone has a virgin device (haven't installed gapps or modified /system), you can make a dump by executing "busybox tar -cvf /mnt/sdcard/system.tar /system"
Either download terminal emulator or use adb. If you want to dump to a microsd, replace sdcard with extsd. It looks like the busybox tar cannot gzip, so you'll have to compress it afterwards if desired. Uncompressed archive should weigh in around 300MB.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28229678/nandc.img
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28229678/system.tar.gz

thank you so much, you just saved my tablet. Thanks for taking out your time and bandwidth to upload the system dump. Very nice of you

WSmith50

Jan 17, 2013
Our Graig will now not boot past B&W "Android" screen. It starts OK with little Android gut but then goes to Android in whit on a black screen and stay there.

I would thinf a "hard" reset might help but can't find instructions. Can anyone help?

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
thank you so much, you just saved my tablet. Thanks for taking out your time and bandwidth to upload the system dump. Very nice of you

c19932: Can you please outline the steps? Did you load both files? The last load I did was using livesuite software and an img file.

bartenderck

Jan 12, 2013
I wish I made a virgin dump when I first got the device. I installed gapps through RootThat-ICS and had a pretty terrible experience as well.

I have since flashed the gapps linked to in the other thread -- gapps.ics.20120703-2-aroma.zip via cwm. I may be speaking too soon, but things seem to be running a lot smoother since. It seemed a little strange that the whole RootThat-ICS package is 28MB vs gapps weighing in around 50MB.

I imagine Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps would work just as well.

I made a backup of the stock recovery, but cwm for some reason decided to wipe the internal storage.

How did you install "gapps.ics.20120703-2-aroma.zip via cwm" ?

Thanks!!

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
c19932: Can you please outline the steps? Did you load both files? The last load I did was using livesuite software and an img file.

Hi. I did the system img restore thing from the craig website, and of course it bricked my tablet. So here's what I did to get CWM back on my tablet:

1) download this img and flash it to your tablet.
http://ideal.altdl.com/index.php?di...llwinner-A10/&file=Android 4.0.3-20120309.rar
I burned the firmware to my sdcard and flashed it to my tablet. Maybe livesuit will work too but I didn't try.

2) Now you have your tablet boot into android OS without working touch screen. But ADB debugging is enabled! Connect your tablet to your computer. Download recovery files here (cwm_recovery_6.0.1.0_a10c_28072012.zip) and push them into your tablet internal storage through adb. and then, with adb, install and reboot into CWM:
Code:
$ su
# cd /mnt/sdcard
# sh install-recovery.sh
# sh reboot-recovery.sh

Now you can get access to recovery. Now all we need is a nandroid backup from another kind user so we could restore to our tablet, and our tablet will be working again.

Do you have a nandroid backup? if so could you zip it up and upload it please?

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
I don't have a nandroid backup. Your method above, does it provide touch screen? (none of the ones I have tested have). In step # 1, I tried flashing my unit with both livesuite and the phoneix software and neither of them work. How were you able to flash the unit with that file?

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
never mind, I missed the obvious. I put your file on a mircro sd card and went through the image process. I will try out step 2 shortly. However, after putting the image file does the device actually get you to a working screen? mine freezes on the 2nd android logo. Let me know please.

-- update --
I was able to boot into the tablet (used livesuite instead of direct flashing). Will try out next step shortly.

Last edited:

KKen

Jan 12, 2011
We got one from CVS for our Nephews 3 year old Son. In order to download apps we had to sign up with our Amazon Account. After putting some freebie apps and a few paid for
I removed the Amazon account to play it safe. When my Nephews tried to use it none of the Apps would work without an Amazon Account. He put his account on it
and then got a message the apps did not belong to him and would still not run. I called Amazon Customer Service and was told the Apps can only run on a tablet that still has
the original Amazon Store account who purchased them. That was a bit of a disappointment since we bought the games as part of the gift, giving him something to play with
right away. A bit of a disappointment on Xmas day.
Amazon is willing to give me a credit for what I purchased. I did not see anywhere in the Instructions for the CMP741e did it state this problem.

The other thing I noticed is the tablet is very slow to react with most games not working well. However to my surprise Netflix worked pretty well.

Would rooting this tablet improve the performance?

Ken

bartenderck

Jan 12, 2013
Hi. I did the system img restore thing from the craig website, and of course it bricked my tablet. So here's what I did to get CWM back on my tablet:

1) download this img and flash it to your tablet.
http://ideal.altdl.com/index.php?dir=Firmware/Android/A7-Allwinner-A10/&file=Android%204.0.3-20120309.rar
I burned the firmware to my sdcard and flashed it to my tablet. Maybe livesuit will work too but I didn't try.

2) Now you have your tablet boot into android OS without working touch screen. But ADB debugging is enabled! Connect your tablet to your computer. Download recovery files here (cwm_recovery_6.0.1.0_a10c_28072012.zip) and push them into your tablet internal storage through adb. and then, with adb, install and reboot into CWM:
Code:
$ su
# cd /mnt/sdcard
# sh install-recovery.sh
# sh reboot-recovery.sh

Now you can get access to recovery. Now all we need is a nandroid backup from another kind user so we could restore to our tablet, and our tablet will be working again.

Do you have a nandroid backup? if so could you zip it up and upload it please?

Can you explain how to make a nandroid backup? Thanks

haeo222

May 25, 2013
How to main todd cmp741d and set up search engines applications program on it, Simon cmp741d is an amazing product which features a 7-inch capacitive touch screen show display...

Sorry, commercial links are not allowed in posts.

Last edited: