Danger warning about firmware updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
The firware update that I downloaded extracted without a dload folder and to anyone who gets to that stage just create a new folder call dload in the root dir of your sdcard.You need to copy UPDATA.APP and unlmt.cfg into this folder.
Important note.
DO NOT COPY once.cfg

If you do then the update will write version number into the OEMINFO area of the device and
NO FURTHER UPGRADE WILL BE POSSIBLE

Last edited by a moderator:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Wow. I was not aware of that. I hope the resellers do not learn about that.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
There is a pdf file in the firmware that I downloaded that makes this point, but, not clearly enough in my opinion.
However, the danger file once.cfg is not extracted from the zip file.
It must exist and may be contained in other firmware zips and being aware of that will hopefully prevent a disaster for someone.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has found this file!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, I actually was aware of this when I wrote up the Perform a True Reset post, but didn't talk about the difference between once.cfg and ulimt.cfg. I have also updated that thread to tell people to make sure not to use it.

-p

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
I have downloaded and installed about 7-8 different versions just for grins:) and haven't found a single zip file with that config file yet.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
It may not be as yet 'in the wild' so to speak.
But I'll bet it cros up sooner or later and catches someone out.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

damnpixie

Jan 9, 2011
Well, I thought it was odd that the S7 upgrade tools software has a section that says "Be cautious to select" and then a check box under it that says "Allow upgrade for the second time." (I can't help but imagine an anime schoolgirl voice squeaking this message out, due to the nature of the weird English). I'm wondering if this is the answer to your concern?

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
What .cfg file did you use?
Can you read it with note pad and see if it contains anything?

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Does anyone else think that the sdcard upgrade method is inherently more safe?

Ollie1991

Jan 18, 2011
Hello,
I have just got the Ideos S7 and am an absoulte newbie at using the tablet. I am trying to download the stuff from (Software - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..) the Huawei Service Centre software site, is this the right place to download from? The problem is I don't know what I am meant to do with the files I download, they are compressed files and when i open them there is nothing to install. One of them is the USB driver and the other is kernel-2.6.29-S7-Emotion.tar and I have no idea what that is.

Can anyone help me?
I also noticed you guys were talking about upgrading the software, how and where do i do that?

Any help anyone can give is much appreicated,
thanks
Ollie.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Hello Ollie- before you do anything read as much as you can so you don't make mistakes that can't be undone. Start with th stickies! ;)

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Hello,
...The problem is I don't know what I am meant to do with the files I download, they are compressed files and when i open them there is nothing to install. One of them is the USB driver and the other is kernel-2.6.29-S7-Emotion.tar and I have no idea what that is....

The usbdrivers are useful. They will help you to get an adb connection to your device. This is very useful if you want to mod anything. It is a bit like using telnet to get into a linux box, and very useful if you want to use root facilities to change things. Having said that, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, so this may not be useful for you. I have used this access to do the following:

1) Configure apps2sd
2) Change the boot animation
3) Explore the device

The kernel file you downloaded is not that useful unless you plan to do some kernel development.

You have not mentioned the ROMs, and these are very useful. These can be used to restore your machine's firmware if you manage to stuff it up, or if you just want to try another later ROM. I have mine reflashed to the SIngapore ROM.

There is a discussion here about how to use ROM files....Full Reset The ROMs can be found here.

tinki

Jan 1, 2011
I need to ask a few questions about Huawei s7 tablet. I know I will sound stupid but I am not a techie person or such. I bought my new s7 tablet around christmas. I don't want to root it or reroot it or whatever it maybe called because of fear and lack of knowledge. I am happy with the way the original os is. I would like froyo 2.2 but so does everone else. I have read enough now to be totally confussed or "blonde". Is it necessary to download to the s7 this updata.app and unlmt.cfg if I am not going to root the s7? If it is necessary than what will these two files improve on the s7? Also on Huawei device site is two downloads: kernel-2.6.29s7-emotion.tar.g z and huawei s7_usb driver. Do I need to download those 2 to my s7 and what do they improve? Sorry for the trouble but I am really confussed and that makes me scared to do anything to my s7. Thanks in advance.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
... Is it necessary to download to the s7 this updata.app and unlmt.cfg if I am not going to root the s7? If it is necessary than what will these two files improve on the s7? Also on Huawei device site is two downloads: kernel-2.6.29s7-emotion.tar.g z and huawei s7_usb driver. Do I need to download those 2 to my s7 and what do they improve?...

Ok, so many questions :)

Firstly, it is not necessary to download the updata.app and unlmt.cfg if I am not going to root the s7.

Also on Huawei device site is two downloads: kernel-2.6.29s7-emotion.tar.g z and huawei s7_usb driver. Do I need to download those 2 to my s7 and what do they improve?
The answer is that you do not need these unless you plan to try and mod your device to use the apps2sd mod.

My suggestion is to use the device for a bit. You will probably find, like most of us, that the machine is an amazing piece of hardware, but it is shackled with a small memory footprint, and you will not be able to install many apps. There is no supported way to fix this with Android 2.1, so you would have to root the device and install the usb drivers, and perform some mods to make it work the way you would expect. i.e. that you can install apps to the sdcard instead of only to the (very small) amount of NAND memory.

A 2.2 upgrade is being worked on. This will give you flash support and official apps2sd support. Huawei are promising this in March, so you can wait for that, or wait for the amzing android development community to come up with a 2.2 upgrade or custom ROM.

Until then, you really don't have to do anything, except enjoy your device.

Status
Not open for further replies.