Data connection problem with Gingerbread (v. 2.3.3) tablet

ctibor

Oct 31, 2011
Hi,
I have a 7 inch Kinpad I200 tablet (made by Show China Industry), that runs Android 2.3.3 software. The tablet works well, it has Wi-Fi and also GSM/3G connection built-in.

I have only one problem with the operation system. After switching on the device, the 3G icon is on, and it works normally, up- and downloading data with high speed. But if I either lost the 3G signal because there is no continuous coverage where I am, or switch on the Wi-Fi connection, I never regain the 3G (nor Edge or GPRS) connection until restarting the whole system. Then I have mobile data service again, even 10 hours or longer, but after another Wi-Fi session or moving a poor-coverage area, the problem comes again.

I am not an IT expert but reading different forums I have realised that different Gingerbread-powered devices used to have this (or similar) problem and the manufacturers issued firmware upgrades to resolve it. My tablet's manufacturer also has issued a couple of OTA updates so far and I installed all, but the data problem remained. I also learned that from 2.3 version the Android handles the connections itself, so you cannot modify it with 3rd party software.

I have sent e-mail to the manufacturer, asking for providing a patch or upgraded firmware (maybe 2.3.4) but no answer so far.

So, my question is:
does anybody know a workaround or some kind of solution for this problem? It is quite annoying that I always must make a restart if I want to go to the Internet via mobile network.

Thanks in advance,
Tibor