Device location settings...

danrob1uk

May 11, 2012
I am a total newbie with very little understandong of Android so please be gentle with me.

I have just bought a device (sold to me as a flytouch 5) running Android 2.3 for my wife for her birthday. So far so good in that it does everything she has asked for so far bar one thing.

I have been unable to download the BBC iplayer app as I get a message that this app cannot be installed in my device's country. I am guessing that this is to do with the device originating in China/Hong Kong (?)

Device shows up as AT&T VIMICRO MID

Model Number
MID

Android Version

Baseband Version
Unknown

Kernel Version
root@zjd #7

Build number
MID-userdebug 2.3 GRH55 eng.root.20111122.173305 test-keys

Dont know what the above means but it may be useful here?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.​

danrob1uk

May 11, 2012
OK, an update as to where I am now, it seems my device is showing as AT&T VIMICRO MID which limits me to apps available on the American market. I am in the UK and so want to download some UK specific aps. I have discovered aps such as Market Enabler and Market Unlocker which are supposed to free up market restrictons on locations. I have downloaded the free version of Market Unlocker but this does not see to help.

In any case, this is a way around a problem rather than the solution. Anyone else had the same issue? How did you resolve it?

Please help. this is so frustrating. Spent most of yesterday fiddling with the settings and trying again and again with no luck :(