Do you think I should get the nexus 7 tablet if I got a galaxy s3 ?

Madarox

Aug 21, 2012
Hi all,
in the next 2-3 weeks,I will get a galaxy s3.Then I thought about getting a nexus 7 in late september when it's available in my country.What makes me worry is that I might use the nexus 7 for everything and just use my 650$ s3 for phone calls which any phone can do but I really like the nexus 7,specially at that price.It will be nice for reading and browsing the internet...so what do you guys think ? should I get the nexus 7 or just forget about getting a tablet and do some upgrades in my somewhat old PC ?

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Hey Madarox, welcome to the forums.
The main thing I got from this is you are worrying that you will use the tablet, because you will prefer it over the Galaxy S III for many tasks. I see nothing wrong with that; that isn't a reason not to get it. Not using the Galaxy S III because something else does the job better isn't really a reason (in my humble opinion) to not get that device. If anything, it's a reason not to get the Galaxy S III, and use that money to upgrade your PC. My grandmother has the Nexus 7, and it works incredibly well and fast. It is very smooth - it's an incredible device for the pricing.

The Nexus would obviously perform better than the S III for a lot of things, and I'm sure that you would enjoy using it over the phone for many things as well. Don't forget, however, that the Nexus does not have a 3G/4G data connection; and also, you likely would prefer to use your phone for a lot of things while out and on the go. The Nexus is portable, but not as portable as the S III (of course).

In the end, my point is: go for the Nexus, regardless of whether or not you get the S III. Its a great purchase, and is the best cost-to-performance 7" tablet around.

Android02

Aug 22, 2012
get a asus transformer they are really good, get the transformer pad its not too exspensive either mine was $790.

Madarox

Aug 21, 2012
Hey Madarox, welcome to the forums.
The main thing I got from this is you are worrying that you will use the tablet, because you will prefer it over the Galaxy S III for many tasks. I see nothing wrong with that; that isn't a reason not to get it. Not using the Galaxy S III because something else does the job better isn't really a reason (in my humble opinion) to not get that device. If anything, it's a reason not to get the Galaxy S III, and use that money to upgrade your PC. My grandmother has the Nexus 7, and it works incredibly well and fast. It is very smooth - it's an incredible device for the pricing.

The Nexus would obviously perform better than the S III for a lot of things, and I'm sure that you would enjoy using it over the phone for many things as well. Don't forget, however, that the Nexus does not have a 3G/4G data connection; and also, you likely would prefer to use your phone for a lot of things while out and on the go. The Nexus is portable, but not as portable as the S III (of course).

In the end, my point is: go for the Nexus, regardless of whether or not you get the S III. Its a great purchase, and is the best cost-to-performance 7" tablet around.
Thanks for the welcome.
Well,I had a galaxy s2(was stolen) and I used to use it A LOT when I'm at home(like around 4 hours of usage a day).I didn't want to use it that much for 2 reasons:
1-The Super AMOLED Plus degrades fast and can have a pixel burn easily,tho the s3 got a pentile screen but it still can get pixel burns.
2-I charged my phone a lot,maybe once in the middle of the day then leave it charging before sleeping.

If I got the nexus 7,I will mostly use it when I'm at home and I will rarely take it with me outdoors since it's not as portable as the s3 like you said,tho it would be nice to take it with me if I'm planning to sit somewhere outdoors for a long time like starbucks or smthin.With the s3 I will make calls,texts,IM,camera,music and for everything else if I'm outdoors.Thanks for the tip ^^

magpie109

Aug 22, 2012
I bought the Galaxy SII phone last December. I bought the Nexus 7 about a month ago directly from Google and find myself reaching for the tablet whenever I have wifi access and the tablet is in reach. The 7" form factor fits nicely in a medium sized purse, and swims inside my briefcase, leaving room to carry the charger and other peripherals. I find myself using the tablet mostly for media because of the larger screen. It's so much better watching videos and reading from the larger screen. The two work well together when I use my SII phone as a wifi hotspot to access the internet, stream movies, etc. as the Nexus7 does not have 3G capabilities and is limited to wifi web access. My cell phone carrier does not allow wifi tethering without an additional monthly fee and 2 year contract plan, but I have found a way around it. I purposely did not upgrade my phone to ICS to avoid having that free capability removed. I have heard that carriers in other parts of the world do not charge extra for using the phone hotspot feature. You should investigate that possibility in your country first if the idea of using your SIII as a wifi hotspot appeals to you.

I am completely thrilled with both my Samsung SII phone and the Nexus tablet. I STRONGLY suggest you establish a Google account so that everything syncs between the phone and the tablet. I love this feature because, as an example, I can pop all my music, books, etc- onetime-onto the Google cloud and find it on my laptop, phone, and tablet. Be aware that JellyBean out of the box (Nexus7) will not support Adobe Flash, as the plug-in is not available, so there will be times when you will have to rely on your phone for flash supported web content if the SIII even has it. Adobe will not support JellyBean or any future android OS in the future, as html5 is the new kid on the block. An example of where that could present a problem would be one I had this past weekend when I attempted to buy tickets online for a Cirque du Soleil event in Washington DC and could not access the page because it was flash supported. Unfortunately, both of my companions also could not access it because they have ipads and iphones. To the rescue came my beloved Samsung Galaxy SII phone, which is Flash supported. Perhaps you could use the android beam feature that is available on both the SIII and the Nexus 7 to make Flash work, but I am not well versed enough in that to say for certain, or if your SIII even had the flash plug-in. Something to investigate so you are not left with any surprises.

All in all, I think you will love having both the SIII AND the Nexus7 as a team, especially if you sync everything through Google cloud. Hope this helps you in making your decision. Have fun!

Madarox

Aug 21, 2012
Well,I do have a google account since as I mentioned I had a galaxy s2 but it was stolen.I won't be able to take full advantage of syncing because all I can do on google play in my country is to get free apps only(I get paid stuff with piracy,it's my only option so yea).Sure there are alternatives to get books,music,movies but I won't take advantage of syncing(maybe with dropbox,but it's not as good as google play).Anyways,I only use 3G when I need it since I'm on prepaid,I'm not a heavy data consumer which is required for all the syncing stuff.For flash player,you can still use flash on jelly bean by just installing the apk file,it's not too stable but it gets the job done.I used to use chrome on my phone,it doesn't support flash but I never actually found myself in need for it.
I don't think my carrier got any restrictions on using my phone as a hotspot since I will buy the phone sim-free anyways but I will still ask them just to be sure.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Just to mention it, Adobe has brought out that they will provide support for Flash on the Galaxy S III running Jelly Bean. I dunno, maybe they got an exclusivity agreement with Samsung about it. However, Flash Player is no longer available on the Android Market (Edit: Play Store, lol, still using old terminology), so I'm not exactly sure how that is going to work. You would probably have to sideload it yourself for it to be recognized.

Last edited: