DocHoppy Custom rom Nextbook 7 Premium

DocHoppy

Dec 26, 2011
***THIS IS FOR THE NEXTBOOK 7 PREMIUM ONLY***

READ CAREFULLY!

Ok I have decided to pass along what I have been working on.

DocHoppyRom_v02
Based off the official update image released by nextbook.

Includes:
Custom Bootanimation.
Working Android Market, version 3.1.3
Working Gmail
Added Go Launcher EX as choice for launcher, when tablet boots after updating, you can choose at that point and set either launcher go launcher ex as default home.
Rooted.

Removed:
Slide me market.

This is a work in progress.

Known working on Nextbook 7 premium tablets with serial numbers starting:YF1011

Linked here for image.
DocHoppyRomv_02.img
Instructions:
*****WARNING THIS WILL ERASE YOU DATA AND APPS!!!!*******
Download image.
Rename file to update.img
copy file to root of SD card.
Follow on screen prompt asking if you want to run update image.

I used Wendal's tool to decompress the cramfs file system.

As for the /system, Because the device uses cramfs, and based on everything I have read, using Wendal's tool to decompress the file system, make the changes, and compress is the only way I can see to be able to
customize the rom for the device. The image is rooted, but after the update.img is compressed, the /system file remains read only. I tested this using root explorer, but anything requiring su works fine. But all hope may not be lost, I was reading on a chumby forum someone suggested using mkfs.jffs to make it writable, but further down it notes that you would need to change the kernel (easy enough to recompile I think), to utilize a different file system. The boot loader would also need to be modified, something I am not ready to try and tackle just yet, I think I would be bricking my nextbook pretty quickly.

It is a start and I am actually learning a lot as I go.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Enjoy.

Disclaimer:

Not responsible for bricked tablets.

Enjoy!

Questions Welcome.

Last edited:

theanping

Dec 19, 2011
could you able to help for nextbook that able to boot with this method? thanks for advice in advance.

May 18, 2013
up up this thread... please upload file again due to file is Invalid or Deleted File.
i need it badly i have nextbook next7p too many pattern