Downloading Data to Flash Drive

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I've read a lot about importing files from a flash drive to the tablet, but what about moving files from the tablet to a flash drive? If you record videos or photos on a trip, for example, you will probably fill up the memory, and then you are stuck.

Howwould you connect a USB flash drive to the Nexus 7-2 and move files to that?

Music

Feb 5, 2011
OTG not detected!??? S3C USB Host driver not found?

The OTG Troubleshooter application says the device has USB Host support, but doesn't detect anything. I even tried two different OTG adapter cables, on from eBay (a cheap chinese thing that I thought didn't work anyway) and a 'good' one I got through Amazon. I even tried a couple flash drive sticks on both adapter cables.

The Troubleshooter app 'found 1 hub.' what does that mean? Should I try the stickmount app or similar? Th troubleshooter app os from the same developer as the Nexus Media Importer application.

What other rgings can you do- System settings maybe? I tried turning on the USB debugging stuff...

The only alternative I have is to carry a notebook PC, :mad: and download all the media stuff to a flash drive each day.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There are some wireless hard disks out there, primarily for using with tablets. Much easier than carrying a laptop.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
he wireless hard drive probably wouldn't work with my tablet either :(

I thought the latest Android OS update would improve things. Apparently not.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Leeshor-

No offense, but the reason for the USB Host and the OTG adapter is to avoid the use of such outrageouosly expensive peripherals. Why did we buy Android tablets? To have small devices with large memory! But, with a small expense of just a few (as in $5, assuming you have a drawer-full of flash drives, like I do) we can expand that memory capacity significantly. Using a Wifi hard drive, to me, is no different than carrying a notebook computer. If you had a group of people that needed networking with tablets and sharing data, then a wireless hard drive might be useful.

Except for me, because my brand-new tablet was crippled from the box...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
The Wireless Flash Reader might work, but can Android write files to it?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The Wireless Flash Reader might work, but can Android write files to it?

I can't think of a reason why not, but you could ask the folks at Kingston just to be sure.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I have made some progress...

I tried an application called Nexus USB OTG File Manager, and I was able to copy a file to the USB flash drive connected via the OTG cable. I was limited to only a few folder in the root of the device (Alarms, DCIM, download, Notifications, Ringtones, etc.) but my goal was to copy some large files, such as videos. Changing to the Advanced Mode enabled me to view all the folders.

The wireless flash card reader may be a good thing to use if it becomes affordable (less than $20) but the $2.50 I spent for the app is what I would call reasonable or affordable at the present time.

Anyway... thanks, Spider and leeshor.

I still think I will give Asus a call to see if they can help solve the original propblem with the non-existent Host Mode API/driver.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I chatted online with an Asus support person, and he told me the USB port is only for charging!

Basil:
That port will not allow you to connect a USB flash drive.That port is for charging purposes.

Me:
The documentation states that you can connect USB devices such as flash drive, mouse or keyboard!
The support person asked me where I got that "information" (that you can connect a flash drive, etc.

Basil:
If the tablet allows a customer to connect via the port to a USB Flash drive that would be outside of the scope of Asus.

The device was not tested to connect a flash drive to the device as the device has one port only that allows for power/charge input.

Therefore once is entails any 3rd party accessory to facilitate that, Asus is not able to assist with that process accordingly.
This person obviously doesn't know or care to know about the devices. He thought I was trying to plug my flash drive directly into the micro port!

He finally directed me to (Asus) "Android support" or the Google support group for the Nexus 7

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
OK, so it looks like I actually can copy files to or from a USB flash drive.

How about using a micro SD card? I have a card reader, and I'll give it a try later. I have a bunch of 32Gb micro cards.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Success!

I first tried my 6,000,00-in-1 card reader with a micro SD card in it, and the USB OTG application could not connect or read the data. Then just for fun, I bought THIS 99-cent micro SD USB reader, and was able to connect, read, copy, paste, everything!

Now I only need a 64 Gb micro SD card, and I'll have a way to download files from the Nexus 7 2013 when you are traveling.

I'm still concerned as to why ASUS denies that the USB/slimport is for connecting to anything besides the battery charger.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
uys,

I've been noticing that OTG cables are being sold as "Host Mode OTG cable." Is that something important if you want to connect a USB device to your SlimPort? I'm still wondering why my new Nexus 7-2 won't recognize that a USB device was plugged in, which is contrary to all the YOUTube videos and web pages are saying (you should get a message asking what application should launch to handle the USB device that was just connected.)

thx