DVD Catalyst Guide Collection (DVD, Video, Bluray)

D

dvdcatalyst

I posted a couple of guides on my website that can be used to get movies on Honeycomb Tablets (Xoom, Transformer, Tab2, Thrive, Acer etc). They cover the most asked questions I receive on forums as well as by email, so I figured it would be easier to collect them into a single post.

Sample videos. If you visit this link on your Honeycomb Tablet you can see what it is capable of:
Index of /xoom/fullscreen

For Getting Started Guides, have a look here:
Step By Step | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

For a guide on how to use DVD Catalyst with Bluray:
DVD Catalyst 4 v4.0.3 Beta, aka Bluray Catalyst | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

How to get your movies to play in full-screen:
How to make all your movies full-screen for Xoom, iPad2, iPhone4, Atrix and more | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

Streaming. A while ago, I created a (free) streaming server application that you can use to stream your existing mp4 video collection to pretty much any android device:
How to stream movies to your phone for free | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

mlbarber

Jul 11, 2011
that link didn show me anything. i have used cucusoft converter in the past but when i put the movies on my tablet, I could hardly hear them. I had to convert them at such a low rate that i think it affected the sound quality.

D

dvdcatalyst

that link didn show me anything. i have used cucusoft converter in the past but when i put the movies on my tablet, I could hardly hear them. I had to convert them at such a low rate that i think it affected the sound quality.

The link was a basic search for "dvd catalyst" on these forums, and should have showed you the posts from other people who were using it.

I noticed you posted in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 forum section, so assuming you have one, visit this link on your tab to get an idea of the video and audio quality possible:

Index of /xoom/fullscreen

Just tap on one of the MP4 links to have the video play while downloading (stream)

The files there are created with DVD Catalyst 4, and should play perfectly on your tab using the build-in video player.

mlbarber

Jul 11, 2011
yes i have a galaxy 10.1. very impressed with the video and audio quality. what is the typical size of a full length movie? The other software I was using wouldnt let me convert more than .97GB without breaking up the movie into parts.

D

dvdcatalyst

yes i have a galaxy 10.1. very impressed with the video and audio quality. what is the typical size of a full length movie? The other software I was using wouldnt let me convert more than .97GB without breaking up the movie into parts.

It depends on the kind of quality you want. The files there were encoded using the Xoom HQ2 profile, which ends up around 2.5GB for a movie. If you convert DVDs, you can just select the Xoom profile, and you are looking at about 1.5-1.8GB for a 2 hour movie.

This should give you a basic idea. The article doesn't fully apply to tablets, but it shows off different quality settings, and how you can get smaller files while still keeping the files watchable.

DVD Catalyst 4 – Quality difference between different profiles | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

After scanning the DVD (before you start the conversion) DVD Catalyst gives you an estimate on how large the file is going to be. If you would like to trade a bit of quality in for smaller files, just tap on "Modify" in the program, and lower the video quality setting a bit.

For fast action movies (explosions and such), I would recommend leaving it as is, but for slower (comedy/romance) movies, you could go about 20% lower and still have great looking video files.

D

dvdcatalyst

thanks for the quick responses. i am going to try and download the trial version tomorrow.

You are very welcome,

To get you started, have a look here:

How to : Convert DVDs and Video files for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

Just follow the steps described, and you are good to go.

The guide is long, but its loaded with screenshots for everything. Once you get into it you will notice the process is actually just a few clicks.

mlbarber

Jul 11, 2011
I downloaded the trial version today. it worked great. i just purchased the full version. i will let everyone know how well it works. the audio is so much better than the current software that i use.

ShinP

Aug 17, 2011
I have had the full version for a couples of months and it works pretty well. The full version has a ton of settings which I haven't really played with.
Sent from my AT100 using Android Tablet Forum