eBook - Compression

desetjim

Dec 27, 2011
I got my wife a Kindle HD for Christmas and she was reading something about eBooks being stored on Cloud so she couldn't read them where she didn't have an internet connection.

Don't know if the article had said they were automatically stored on Cloud or if they could be stored on her Kindle.

So, my question is this, to start: If I download an eBook, doesn't it go onto my IdeaPad (She got it for me a year ago)? Or to some Cloud storage? Or is there a choice?

This takes me to my title question: Roughly how many eBook pages equal a kilobyte? What is the compression ratio, for example, from the book text to an eBook file.

I'm totally green when it comes to eBooks, although I've been using computers since the 80s.

Any information, just to satisfy my curiosity, will be appreciated. I normally download and use Bible software which include tons of books and articles. I have not downloaded any books for my android, tho. I do think it has a reader, tho. Actually, haven't spent an hour on it since I got it.

Many thanks,

Jim....from NM, but vacationing in Calif

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Most of the e-book readers load the books to your tablet. The only reason I can think of to store them in the could is to keep DRM free public books backed up. Any you purchase using an app would be available again if lost through the same app so would not need to be backed up.

One more thing. I don't think you will be able to compress an E-Book as they are a kind of compressed format in the first place. You might be able to change the size by converting to a different format but that's about it.

desetjim

Dec 27, 2011
Most of the e-book readers load the books to your tablet. The only reason I can think of to store them in the could is to keep DRM free public books backed up. Any you purchase using an app would be available again if lost through the same app so would not need to be backed up.

One more thing. I don't think you will be able to compress an E-Book as they are a kind of compressed format in the first place. You might be able to change the size by converting to a different format but that's about it.

Thanks, but I was just wondering about how much the text of an actual "book" would compress. Like what size would the eBook file be for a 300 page book? Not a big deal, but I guess I will have to experiment with them and find out.

Regards,

Jim

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I suppose this is subjective, if you want to compress, say, a text file, you can save as much as 90% of storage space. Previously compressed media doesn't fair so well, and further attempts at compression can actually result in a larger file.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1